Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
That looks like a '68. You don't like the stock '68 exhaust? Looks very similar. Only difference I remember is no kick up at the rear of the header and the mufflers are symmetrical. Your muffler has a bottom entry. Isn't that a T100 muffler?

You may like the look, but those sharp bends after the header leaves the head does nothing for performance. A smoother less angular bend will give you better flow.

Here is a photo of my '66 T120R. The muffler are NOS from a former Triumph supplier whose name escapes me at the present time. The header pipes on the bike were good so I kept them. Note how they are straight where they enter the muffler. Rest of the bike was a full resto I did several years ago.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Registered
You asked about the header on the other side. Here's a few pics. Last two were taken during final assembly at the end of the restoration process.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Sky
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Registered
The pipes in your first picture do not appear to be the same as the pipes in your second photos. Those appear to look more like stock, at least the timing side. My bike is 2 hours away from me so I cannot go out and refresh my aging memory with the subtle details of the header bends.

It almost looks to me like you have two header pipes from different sets of headers. Your timing side header looks correct to me. But the primary side looks aftermarket. And I think that is what you are eluding to. I think you have a mixed set on that bike.

Go do a google search for '68 T120R bikes and look at all the images that pop up. This will help calibrate you to what each side should look like. If you look at my pipes, they appear to be damn near identical. But I do see a slight kick-up at the end of the timing side pipe. But that could be an illusion in the photo. There are so many angles in these pipes that how you shoot them with a camera gives a different impression each time.

But I will offer up this tidbit. If the mufflers and pipes fit, don't get all wrapped up around the axle about it. Use those for now and worry about more important stuff. You can always source another set of headers if you choose after you get better educated on the subject. With the exception of members who work in shops, most of us know our bikes well and then the knowledge starts to trail off as you get into other years/models.

Registered
Looking at your photos, the timing side pipe seems to run under the tranny, same as mine. It obviously goes under the peg. Look at the shifter pedal position on my bike and then at yours. You need to raise your shifter up and you should be fine from that standpoint. The muffler mount is a different story. But your photo shows a muffler on there. Is it too close to the pillion peg? It does not seem to be any closer than mine.

I see that the exhaust ports on your heads have been weld repaired. If they have changed the angle that the header leaves the head, that will alter the position of the rear end of the header where it meets the muffler. I'm not trying to pee on your cupcake, but your issue might be rooted in that head repair and not the headers.

Registered
I have no experience with the EMGO header pipes. But I had a set of their Dunstall mufflers and was quite pleased with them. I also have a set of the Airhead BMW OEM replica mufflers and they are excellent, fit perfectly and look original. So, you might consider the header set that they sell. Not sure if anyone here has ever tried that set of headers.

You have to download their catalog to see the headers. The picture is so-so, but they look like the correct bend.

Registered
First and most obvious, the man swinging that welder should be shot. Secondly your silencers are not mounted correctly. The mounting bracket on the silencer bolts behind the foot peg bracket. Thirdly the mounting bracket on the silencer has been bent out of shape to allow it to be mounted incorrectly. All the time the silencers are in the wrong place you can not expect the correct shape pipes to fit.
Good catch, Rod. The picture is so busy in that area that I never noticed that the bracket was on the wrong side of the peg bracket. And I agree, that would kick the muffler and the pipe out and is probably why his shifter is right over the header pipe.

The header on mine resides inboard of the shifter pedal. I'm home now and just went out to take a closer look to refresh my memory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts