Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Exhaust for TBird

158K views 294 replies 115 participants last post by  JoeStillman 
#1 ·
To keep info in one place this thread is a "sticky" at the top f the forum. Please post your exhaust questions, answers, pics and info here. From time to time the moderators may "clean up" this thread to keep it a manageable size.

For those that have heard or own the TBird your thoughts on the Exhaust sound? Do they have a louder aftermarket exhaust available?

#3 ·
Triumph is offering 2 models of off road pipes (TORs) for it. One is a long version that looks exactly like the stock pipes but with as triumph puts it "less restrictive internals" and the other is a shorter version that has the same look as far as the slash cut and taper and all that but is quite a bit shorter. Both are $429 USD and will be available in a few weeks or so. the stock pipes are pretty quiet, but not quite as bad as the speedmater or america. Luckily tho the engine noise is quite low so you can hear the exhaust a bit. gotta get TORs tho if you want to really hear the bike. Non triumph aftermarket pipes will take a while before they're available. TORs for the speedmasters americas and bonnies have shown to be quieter than typical aftermarket non triumph pipe. They tend to be the least noisy of the non stock pipe options. If you want LOUD they probably won't make you happy. If you want maybe twice as loud as stock they may be your only option, as most aftermarket pipes are i'd say 3-5 times as loud as stock or more.

#5 ·
I was talking to my dealer about the exhaust and he indicated that the TORs will be louder but triumph had indicated they wont be very loud. Not sure how to take that and the real test will be once one of us gets the TORs and can give the group a report. Although I plan to get the BB and TORs I bet Dazco will beat me to the punch on this one.

Willy T

#6 ·
Naaaa, you\'ll beat me to that one. At least the BB. If i do it chances are i will take my sweet time. And at this point i\'m not even worried about pipes. I want to hear a pair before i buy them. And i kinda like the bike quite ! I\'d like them a bit louder, but just a bit.

#7 ·
Naaaa, you\'ll beat me to that one. At least the BB. If i do it chances are i will take my sweet time. And at this point i\'m not even worried about pipes. I want to hear a pair before i buy them. And i kinda like the bike quite ! I\'d like them a bit louder, but just a bit.

#8 ·
As Dazco said, the sound is better than what the Speedy and America was with the TORs, but it could use a little help. I like the TORs on my America, sounded good and gave a little boost in power. After riding the TBird today, for me at least, I don't think I'll need more power but I want people to know I'm coming! My lovely spouse likes the idea of "loud pipes save lives" so she is actully encouraging me to get the pipes when available. Until then, it still sounds pretty good.

#12 ·
This is something i was thinking about long before the bike arrived. Cat bypass. The R3 benefits by 18 HP just by bypassing the cat ! Ours of course won't benefit as much. But if the benfits are approximately linear with engine size, then we should gain about 12. With that and pipes/freeflo filer we should be at or over BB kit power. I figured i'd wait and see who turns out to be the Tbird trailblazers here and follow thier lead. Another thing to consider tho is that chances are it would need a re-map and w/o that making our own may not be a good idea.

Thatch....i'm not sure it would void the warranty because triumph actually sells a cat bypass for the R3, and i don't think they'd sell something to you that would void your warranty. Of course if we don't see one offered by triumph and we go and fab our own cat bypass pipes, then i assume they wouldn't warranty it. In any case, i'll be sitting here waiting for the guys who blaze the mod trail for the Tbird to get that sorted along with the mapping for it and other things. In a year or 2 we should have a big bag of tricks to pull from.

#13 ·
I'm sure there might be a few warranty issues since to get the most gain out of a CAT bypass, you would need to reprogram the computer.

That is unless Triumph comes up with a solution with a custom fuel map.

If Triumph does listen to anything posted on this forum, it would be a great idea to think about the Triumph version of the 'Screaming Eagle'. Something designed for the power hungry riders. Pretty much everyone who has a TBird or is looking to get one wants to know one thing, how can I make it faster?

I am very pleased with the bike, for now. But am feeling punished for buying so early. There are ZERO parts out for it. What is the hold up?

Sorry about the mini-rant, but I am sure I am not alone. I should not have to wait 2 months after picking up my bike to drop another $400+ on an exhaust that has been shown on every website out there (the shorty ones). I'm not asking for anything tooooo fancy here am I? I just want the parts they have been dangling in front of us for so long. :(

#14 ·
I just talked to my dealer and he said triumph decided not to make a cat bypass for the Tbird. D@mn.... They probably figure the benefits will be too good and with pipes and filter would really slow down BB kit sales. In any case, no cat bypass unless one of the 3rd party mappers creates a map for it.

#15 ·
Dr. it's my understanding that the release date for the bike itself was moved up from August to June and within that effort to get the bike out early (late actually since it was delayed a year to prep the 6 speed tranny) that the accessories weren't similarly accelerated.

Oh, and don't feel too punished about the early purchase. It could be worse. You could be me and still not have yours :Angry:

#16 ·
A Question to those who know more than I...

Situation:
In the official 'Build Your Own Triumph Configurator', upon selecting the information for the additional extra 'High Flow Silencer Kit - Short' it states:
Revised internals to enable improved gas flow resulting in improvements in Tourque & horsepower, combined with a deeper more aggressive exhaust note. Supplied complete with all required gaskets, replacement heatshield covers to match revised profile. Requires specific tune download.

Question:
What do they actually mean when they say 'requires specific tune download'?
Is this some kind of remap?
(which I believe have also read somewhere else)

Basically - I was thinking I could get a pair of these from the UK (as they are NOT available here in Switzerland (too loud)) and fit them myself!
Will this not be possible if I have to start messing around with programs, maps, etc?
:confused:

#18 ·
What do they actually mean when they say \'requires specific tune download\'?
Is this some kind of remap?
Yes. And while you could fit them yourself you wouldn\'t want to do that without having it remapped. I don\'t know how much it would be affected, but it could cause it not to run well or even cause damage is it cayuses it to run way lean. (probably not, but who knows) So you want to get it re-mapped, not only because it will possibly not run perfect, but the re-map will get you a bit more power with the less restricted pipes. Why not take advantage of that?! Also, if you\'re going to get the pipes you may as well get the reusable free flo filter they are also offereing. The two are meant to be used together, and you will get an even bigger boost in power that way because in order for the engine to really take advantage of the less restrictive pipes, the intake must be freed up a bit too. With both items and a re-map you will likely get about another 4 or 5 HP, which is nothing to sneeze at.

#19 ·
...So you want to get it re-mapped, not only because it will possibly not run perfect, but the re-map will get you a bit more power with the less restricted pipes. Why not take advantage of that?! ...
Because those pipes and filter are not accepted in Switzerland! I'll have to talk VERY nicely to the dealer and ask if he can fit them with no questions asked...!

#20 ·
I want to hear the difference (if any) between the short performence pipe and the long. I ordered the long.......I hope it's a better rumble then stock (which is distinct but civilized). Hope to see it soon on youtube....

#150 · (Edited)
Have you had your long performance cans fitted yet? If so, I've been trying to find out if they are marked either 'not for road use' or 'off road only' or similar? Would you take a peek at them for me please and post the result?
Basically, the Triumph UK web site for Thunderbird accessories includes this statement for the short performance cans but not for the long ones and I would dearly like to know their legality status before I part with the cash for them.
Cheers.

#21 ·
Im hoping we can get some decent sound files with the different exhausts on here.
At the moment the exhaust note is the only real thing holding me back,
currently have a Sportster with 2in rush exhaust, just love the noise it makes and couldn't go back to something quieter, or god forbid the horrid sewing machine noise that some bikes make

#22 ·
Now that there are the odd one or two of you with the pipes in hand - would it be possible to get a 'sound-check' from you please?

BirdBrayne, willyt, dazco - any chance of a sound files (before & after)?

#23 ·
I have just read a few comments about the pipes - Short and Long!

I have to say once again - I personally prefer the LONG pipes.
Those SHORT ones are just too short!

You do tend to see too much of the grey pulley with the shorts.

#24 ·
It'sm the REAR view that kills the shorties for me the most. They looks odd and sorta incomplete for the rear, and they loose that norton/thruxton look i like so much....that up and out look. I was going to order the shorts till i got the bike. Then i realized how much i prefer the longs. triumph USA says they tested both and there is no real notable difference in the sound or power improvement between them.

I'll try and remember to do sound files and start a thread if i do.

#28 ·
I was looking thru my J&P cycle, cruiser catalog and they had one exhaust for the Triumph Thunderbird. I forget the details, and I looked on-line and nothing came up for Triumph, so maybe they are only in the catalog. Might be worth some of you guys looking in to it. I'm sure it's like the bonneville, there aren't a lot of exhaust listed for them, but once you realize it's an 1-1/2" inlet the options are unlimited with a little ingenuity.

#29 ·
It was surely not for this bike but for the thunderbird 900 triples. If you don't know about those, triumph has used the name 3 times now. In the 50's, again in the 90's, and now this new one. But no one will have aftermarket accessories for the 1600 Tbird yet. it's much too early.

#30 ·
I took the afternoon off and picked up the long TORs today. Completed the installation but couldn't take it out due to the thunderstorms we are currently experiencing. I started the bike and I feel it is a little louder and does have a deeper tone. But I really need to get it out on the road for a more accurate assessment. I will ask my son in law to help me with a sound bite this weekend. Strangely enough the diameter of the inner opening is smaller on the TORs than the original pipes. I had to check the new pipes to make sure they were identified as off road only. My dealer will install the new tune this Saturday when I make my morning visit for coffee.

Willy T

#88 ·
Willy on my Speedmaster I had a set of long TORs. I was disappointed in the sound at first and I put up with them for many miles.One day I took them off again and looked down into them from the front.Triumph had a restrictor plug in the front.It looked like a freeze plut with a hole in it.I took my diegrinder and reemed it out,so the opening was as big as the outside of the plug.This DID make a difference in the flow and sound.It was easy to do and if it ends up to be to loud you can always install a new freeze plug and drill it out the center hole to the sound level you like.Your new TORS maybe of the same basic design with the restrictor plug in the front that could possibly be reemed out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.