Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 295 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im hoping we can get some decent sound files with the different exhausts on here.
At the moment the exhaust note is the only real thing holding me back,
currently have a Sportster with 2in rush exhaust, just love the noise it makes and couldn't go back to something quieter, or god forbid the horrid sewing machine noise that some bikes make

·
Registered
536 Posts
Now that there are the odd one or two of you with the pipes in hand - would it be possible to get a 'sound-check' from you please?

BirdBrayne, willyt, dazco - any chance of a sound files (before & after)?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have just read a few comments about the pipes - Short and Long!

I have to say once again - I personally prefer the LONG pipes.
Those SHORT ones are just too short!

You do tend to see too much of the grey pulley with the shorts.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
It'sm the REAR view that kills the shorties for me the most. They looks odd and sorta incomplete for the rear, and they loose that norton/thruxton look i like so much....that up and out look. I was going to order the shorts till i got the bike. Then i realized how much i prefer the longs. triumph USA says they tested both and there is no real notable difference in the sound or power improvement between them.

I'll try and remember to do sound files and start a thread if i do.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I was looking thru my J&P cycle, cruiser catalog and they had one exhaust for the Triumph Thunderbird. I forget the details, and I looked on-line and nothing came up for Triumph, so maybe they are only in the catalog. Might be worth some of you guys looking in to it. I'm sure it's like the bonneville, there aren't a lot of exhaust listed for them, but once you realize it's an 1-1/2" inlet the options are unlimited with a little ingenuity.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I was looking thru my J&P cycle, cruiser catalog and they had one exhaust for the Triumph Thunderbird. I forget the details, and I looked on-line and nothing came up for Triumph, so maybe they are only in the catalog. Might be worth some of you guys looking in to it. I'm sure it's like the bonneville, there aren't a lot of exhaust listed for them, but once you realize it's an 1-1/2" inlet the options are unlimited with a little ingenuity.
It was surely not for this bike but for the thunderbird 900 triples. If you don't know about those, triumph has used the name 3 times now. In the 50's, again in the 90's, and now this new one. But no one will have aftermarket accessories for the 1600 Tbird yet. it's much too early.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I took the afternoon off and picked up the long TORs today. Completed the installation but couldn't take it out due to the thunderstorms we are currently experiencing. I started the bike and I feel it is a little louder and does have a deeper tone. But I really need to get it out on the road for a more accurate assessment. I will ask my son in law to help me with a sound bite this weekend. Strangely enough the diameter of the inner opening is smaller on the TORs than the original pipes. I had to check the new pipes to make sure they were identified as off road only. My dealer will install the new tune this Saturday when I make my morning visit for coffee.

Willy T

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I was just talking about the TORs with a member here a hour ago on the phone and he was saying he thought maybe the TORs for this bike would be tamer than TORs for past models. I hope he wasn't right. then again, while you say they're just a little louder, my thunderbike Pipes didn't sound loud at all idling or revving it na bit. But under load they got much louder. So you're right....gotta get out on the road to be sure. Can't wait to hear your assessment once the tune is loaded too. Are you getting a free flo filter too? I am, and the dealer AND the rep i talked to at triumph USA both said no need for a different tune for pipes and filter than pipes only because the closed loop EFI system will automatically adjust for the extra airflow of the filter. So you might wanna grab one if you hadn't already done so. From experience with my speedmaster it does make a difference. Anyways, report back asap soldier. :)

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Just to be clear, there are 2 filter options i know of. One is the Tbird accessory filter which also fits other triumphs and is $85. Looks similar to a UNI filter. (foam) Then there is the K&N which is cheaper by almost 1/2. My dealer sold me one for $48 after his 15% discount. This is also a filter made to fit other triumphs, but the Tbird was designed to use a current filter design so there are already options. There may even be a UNI filter option tho i haven't looked into it. You can get the K&N model # from the place i bought my bike by emailing them i'm sure. http://www.southbaytriumph.com

·
Registered
199 Posts
Took a ride this evening with the new long TORs. The sound is very good. Definitely louder with a deeper tone. For me the pipes are the perfect balance of good tone, not too loud but loud enough. I did some sound bites pf the new TORs, a TBS, and an R3. I will try to upload them to you tube. I have never done that before, but I will give it a try.

I do not have the new filter in yet and my dealer is still working on getting the PC set up to download the new tune.

Willy T

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am uploading sound bites now to you tube. It looks like it will take some time for the upload to complete.

Now to your ? about performance. I don't know if it is just wishful thinking but I think it did feel a little stronger. I think I noticed that it felt stronger right away.

I am very anxious to get the big bore kit. I am hoping that I think it feels even stronger once that is installed.

Willy T

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
The filter should make a considerable difference because while the exhaust is now not as restrictive, there is also no difference in the mixture without the tune and the extra air intake the filter allows. You should notice a big difference between how it feels now and how it will feel with the filter and tune. The guys at Triumph USA also told me they had been told by the UK that the pipes and filter and tune are pretty impressive as far as performance. And it should be more than just what you seemed to have felt. I may beat you to the tune because i plan to have the pipes on and the tune and filter saturday hopefully. But we should both give a detailed description of the difference. I will be posting before and after audio too, tho i'm not sure how good the quality will be.

·
Registered
199 Posts
here is the exhaust sound bite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDR-pSO76c0

Daz,

I was disappointed to find out the dealer cant do the download yet. I am sure the sound bite won't do justice for how it sounds in person. And when you ride it the sound is even better when it is under a little load. They said it will be running a little lean but it wont cause any problem since it will only be for a short period of time until they get things straightened out. I will be picking up the triumph filter next week (I hope). I am sure you will be sharing your information soon.

Looking forward to your report.

Willy T

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
It's hard to tell really, but i think i'm gonna like em. i really need to hear the stock ones next to it so hopefully when i do the before and after clips it will be more obvious. I think also under load is where they really growl. My thunderbike pipes didn't sound loud or mean at idle or revving it, but under load they really sounded good. Thanks for that tho, it sounds like i'll probably be happy. Can't wait !

21 - 40 of 295 Posts