Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Erik,
I have Staintune teardrops on mine they sound great, are beautifully made out of stainless steel, nothing in them to wear out perfect fit and unless you are close you wouldn't pick them from stock. There are cheaper exhausts out there but I geuss you get what you pay for.
Every reply you get will be like mine " I have xxxx brand they are the best. Try to look and listen to as many as you can.

Darcy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick reply.
Yeah I guess you're right about everyone loving their own choices.

I've looked at a lot of websites but I can't listen to the pipes, so I thought maybe someone had something to suggest that was closer to the original in sound.

Even though a lot of these exhausts may have cool sounds in their own right, I was trying to find something like the originals. I'll look into the ones you suggested.

thanks again,
Erik

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went to the BellaCorse website and I've been checking those tear drops out before. They look very promising.

Excuse a question from a non-mechanic guy. When you change the exhaust like that, do you need to tweak or change any parts of the carburators or other things in the engine?

Thanks,
Erik

·
Registered
909 Posts
On 2006-02-15 15:43 Darcy wrote:
I have xxxx brand they are the best.
:lollol:
Unlike those Aussies who'd gladly stick a pair of old beer cans on their Bonnies, I just got myself a set of TORS (Triumph Off Road Silencers). They sound pretty good to me.
Mind you, Darcy's right - you're best to see what's out there and then suck 'em and see.
Good luck.

NB. You'll almost certainly have to tweak the jetting in the carbs to suit whatever new cans you fit.

[ This message was edited by: keef on 2006-02-15 16:09 ]

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Erik,

I put a set of D&D's on my T100. They are loud pipes but I like them. As far as performance boost, I can't really say. I
put them on when the motor only had 500 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The Bella Corse teardrops are very vintage sounding .Not mellow :-D a nice BRRAAPP!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Depends...... If you want to make your Bonnie
"...sound a bit more like the old ones"
then,
do you want it to sound like an old one with a set of old loud cans,
or like an old one with a set of the old quiet cans?

An "old" original 750 motored across the intersection past my open window yesterday, and it was pretty quiet. And I'll tell ya what the cans looked like, and where you can get 'em..... inexpensively and easily.

First of all, you might wanna buy the universal adapter pipes available through Bella Corse (or buy mine that I may never use). Then you look through a JC Whitney catalog (on-line or off), and look for the cans they market for "BMW and Triumph." THAT'S what this guys original equipment cans looked like, very sexy, very svelte, shapely, and exactly like those pictured in JC Whitney.

HEY, it's worth checking out! I'm sure they're not gonna be loud, but then again...... only the Hooligans of yesteryear put those funny looking (what were they called?) "Bell tip" or "megaphone" mufflers on their Trumpets to make 'em loud...... ugly & loud little things, but VERY retro!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I would have to agree with the teardrops (not the Norman Hyde brand, although I'm sure they are of excellent quality) from BC or NB. Nice sound ( braaaaaaap is a good description)and good quality in my opinion. They are actually made by EMGO and come with nice mounting brackets and hardware. I constantly get comments from people thinking my "02" is a mid 60's bike (until they notice the disc brakes).
Plus the price is right in my opinion at less than $400 US.

Shorty

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for your great suggestions!
Much appreciated.

I might have a chance to record a 67 Bonnie over the coming weekend. If I do I'll let you know where you can download the soundbite. (I work with music/audio in LA)

Stay tuned....

Erik

·
Registered
361 Posts
"just to make it sound a bit more like the old ones. "

It sounds like you may be a candidate for the TORS because it sounds as if you don't want it overly loud just a bit more audible and "authentic". I have the Norman Hyde Classic "Togas" and I can attest to the quality, fit and finish. I've added J.C. Whitney 4" long drag pipe baffles in the ends of the tailpipes to tone them down a bit but with the Togas you have the option of different sound levels. The tailpipes of the Togas already have a small predrilled hole in the tailpipes to accomadate baffles but I did have to use a piece of 1.5" OD tubing(electrical conduit) to sleeve the baffles in for a tight fit. The baffles are made for 1.5" OD pipes. I got my Norman Hyde Classic Togas from Newbonneville.com. Hope this helps,

Bill

J.C. Whitney Baffles

[ This message was edited by: BillT100 on 2006-02-17 17:53 ]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Want some real good sound try my "predator" exhaust" it will add around 6/8 more HP to the rear wheel. Its constructed of 14gauge stainless with a mechanical baffle, very low grunt (not raspy) with alot of power, in stock now..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts