Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was mentioned in a recent thread and it sounds like it may be worth $20 to put a repro on Doris.

She hasn't had one for the 25 years I've known her so I know she don't NEED it to operate but it seems it would help tie everything together and make a more rigid exhaust system.

What is you guys experience with these brackets?

It may NOT be worth the $20 but you guys would know!

And it looks like it bolts to the muffler clamps?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

·
Premium Member
9,991 Posts
my T140 has a balance pipe and L brackets.
Then short kick up straight through megas.

If fitted properly, they are solid

I guess if you had TT pipes it might be different

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
It's just a flat bit of 1/8" stock with holes at either end.

I've never seen one in the wild. (Not that I've seen butt tons of Vintage Triumphs)

70-5676 / E5676
Brace

#27 here.

Correct just a bit of flat stock painted black attaches to bottom side of clamps. It is supposed to make the exh system more rigid and reduce vibration. I have one on my '70 your choice on your bike..

The one you are looking at appears to be plated.

K

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I always kept the one on my '70; as an added bonus, if you will, I glued some rubber pads to it, making a "bumper", for the centerstand to rest against. Just a random thought from the "village idiot": Jim

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks KADUTZ.

It looks plated to me too but the listing says it's painted black.

It seems to me it MAY help with vibrations but I think ole Doris is going to have to shimmy and shake a bit before I pick one of these up.

She has been quite greedy and there are still some things that she NEEDS to attend to first.

I don't DARE add up my receipts this far for fear of a massive stroke! :surprise:

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Firstly you will need to elongate the holes to make even the English re pops to fit. May as well make one up from an off cut.

If you will take a little advise? When fitting it's quite difficult to get the clamps perfectly level causing the brace to bend under tension, the curve at each end of the brace can also foul the clamp making it difficult to tighten the clamp properly. When fitting mine I drill the thread from a 5/16 nut and fit that to the clamp bolt first followed by a washer, the brace, washer and finally a lock nut. You will understand what I mean if you try to fit one.

Rod

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Red.

This is one of those things that may or may not come later.

I appreciate the advice. Of COURSE it will be a bugger to install! :wink2:

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Hi Brian, My friend purchased a '69 Bonnie a while back. The strap was missing. While following him I notice the right muffler would shake/vibrate at certain times while riding as the RPM when up/down. A fairly violent shake. This could not be felt by rider.

He made a cross strap from 1/8 x 3/4" flat bar steel from hardware store. Cut & drilled it to fit. Painted black as originals were. As was suggested if you buy a pre made one it may not fit well at all. If you can make it yourself it's cheap insurance.

100% cured the shake. No question the shake would have fractured the muffler either at inlet area or the mounting bracket bushings on muffler.

Even on the T140 the mufflers can shake bad at certain RPM. Some guys put a small strap from clamp to front footrest bolt. The pipes on T140 don't allow for a cross strap like your's as it fouls the stand.

On a recent club ride I noticed pretty much everyone had the strap installed on the early type bikes like yours. Most the bikes are well prepared & set up to ride long distances.

I would recommend installing it to prevent costly fractures. Only takes a few hours to make & fit it. Krylon gloss black paint dries in 20min.
Don

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Don. Good first hand info. Like I said, this makes perfect sense that it would be a good thing to peruse.

I'll have to check around for some 1/8" scrap. Anything we have at work is either too thick or too thin. (For repairing garbage trucks or dumpsters)

I don't have a plasma cutter at home but I guess it don't matter how raggedly the edges are since it will be under the bike.

KRYLON makes Tough Rust paint that is pretty good stuff! Takes a while to completely flash off (in 98 percent humidity that we deal with down here) but it is a pretty tough finish when complete.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
9,991 Posts
does the strap actually fix to the bike? or just to the P clips that mount the silencer?

Couldn't you just use a length of studding? In place of the P clamp Bolts? with a bit of rubber hose over the studding if necessary?

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I don't have a plasma cutter at home but I guess it don't matter how raggedly the edges are since it will be under the bike.

Plasma cutter? You get a bit of flat stick from Home Deport /Ace etc.
Cut to length with a pre electric plasma cutter called a hack saw. The raggedy endues are dressed with a file. Drill two holes one being slightly oval for adjustment.

K

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Home Despot don't have any thick stock that I've seen. I haven't looked specifically for this project.

Last time I needed a piece all they had was some pretty flimsy stuff like plumbers strapping almost and not much thicker.

I will have a look see next time I'm in.

I am NOT a fan of hacksaws! It's too much like work! :grin2: I guess I could huff and puff through an inch of thin stock.

Doris has more important needs right now and won't be seen wearing her silencers for a while yet.

I very much appreciate everyone's input!

LOTS of knowledge on this site and I only WISH Al Gore had invented the internets before I rebuilt her the first time!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Home Despot don't have any thick stock that I've seen. I haven't looked specifically for this project.

Last time I needed a piece all they had was some pretty flimsy stuff like plumbers strapping almost and not much thicker.

I will have a look see next time I'm in.

I am NOT a fan of hacksaws! It's too much like work! :grin2: I guess I could huff and puff through an inch of thin stock.

Doris has more important needs right now and won't be seen wearing her silencers for a while yet.

I very much appreciate everyone's input!

LOTS of knowledge on this site and I only WISH Al Gore had invented the internets before I rebuilt her the first time!

Go to the end of the aisle with the nuts and bolts (Hardware) and there will be a rack with 2'-4' pieces of strap, tubes, rods, angle iron, etc. in steel and alloy. They will have what you need.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep. Been there. My HD had thin "craft" stock that you could bend with ease and aluminum with some thin angle thrown in.

Now granted this was a few years ago and I don't even remember what I was needing some steel for. Maybe lawnmower repair.

I'll take a look next time I'm there. (I was JUST there today on the nut aisle!)

I'm having brake pedal and fork issues so this brace is the least of my worries. :frown2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts