Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

Apologies if this has been discussed before but my search turned up no results and I am new to this thread as well as to Triumphs.

I recently purchased my bike. It is a 1969 Bonneville 750 with a Big Bore kit and the engine has about 1000miles since it was last rebuilt.

It runs great, starts on the first kick, and sounds amazing.

My only issue is that recently my exhaust on the right side has been getting "dark blue" or "amber". I've been trying to research and while some sites state it is normal to motorcycles with aftermarket pipes, others have said that it may be signs of bad air/fuel mixing ratios.

The bike sounds normal and idles fine, but placing your hand at the end tip of the exhaust, one clearly feels the right one significantly hotter than the left.

Should I be concerned about my air fuel mix, and if so, can anyone help me find the screw to adjust the timing?

Or is it truly just something that comes with the after market exhausts?

I'd appreciate any help and I'm really exited to be a part of this site. Lastly, here's a pic of the new ride:

Thanks

(If anyone can provide a link to a thread discussing my issues please feel free to post it and then request this thread deleted. Thank you.)

·
Registered
348 Posts
well your running 1-3/4 pipes which are big. straight always make a bike run a littler leaner. rejetting or pos moving needle grove will help. as far as timing take the little round cover off near shifter. there are the points and screws to adjust. then take off the cover on the primary side to visually check timing with light.

my bet is carbs where not rejetted for the 750cc upgrade or the straight pipes. very easy to fix.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are those straight pipes?

would a bit of back pressure help that bike run? I'm new to Triumphs but my old harley seems to like it. I ended up welding a washer to a bolt, then bolting it thru the inside rear of the pipe, as far in as I could reach. I was wondering about that for mine.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
What do your plugs look like? Post a picture of them if you can. Do a search on plug chops if you feel you are having jetting problems. Running the timing retarded will also cause an engine to run hot. Timing is easy to check on a 69 with a strobe lite. I've posted how to set the timing a number of times on here. Try a search again. Are you running points or electronic ignition. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts