Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read almost everything on this site about aftermarket exhausts. But what would really help me is a rundown of the pros and cons of the 3 main choices out there Trident,ixil, and d&d

·
Registered
764 Posts
This is all of course pretty subjective apart from the cost unless you can get independent testing of horsepower and noise levels using the same motorcycle in the same environment.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but consider the durability of the pipe materials eg. carbon fibre can go dull and brittle with age but is a better insulator, aluminium oxidises, etc.

Noise is fairly similar depending on whether the baffles are removed or not. They are all louder than stock.

Performance wise I doubt whether there would be more than 5 horsepower difference between the lot of them. Installing the TOR tune should yield better results.

Ease of installation - there is plenty of anecdotal info that you have probably already read on this subject.

Ease of maintenance - you may want to consider how easy it is to repack the fibreglass packing.

Then if you still can't decide ponder this:

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/96292-building-better-boat-anchor.html

·
Registered
764 Posts
ralphus I think you will find Trident are dyno tested showing an 8hp gain.

Which if correct is pretty bloody unreal, but I am sure Peter has the proof on paper.

cheers
DaveM:cool:
8hp gain compared to what? A stock pipe or the TOR pipe or the D&D or the IXILs? :confused:

Slowcharles is interested in a comparison of the aftermarket pipes. If you could point Slowcharles in the direction of where these dyno charts are I'm sure it would help him in the decision making process.

Agreed an 8hp gain is impressive particularly if it across the most of the rev range

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
8hp gain compared to what? A stock pipe or the TOR pipe or the D&D or the IXILs? :confused:

Slowcharles is interested in a comparison of the aftermarket pipes. If you could point Slowcharles in the direction of where these dyno charts are I'm sure it would help him in the decision making process.

Agreed an 8hp gain is impressive particularly if it across the most of the rev range

Compared to stock ralphus.

You can PM wolf or do a search it is in the forum here.

I can read ralphus:confused: I didn't miss what slowcharles wanted, but you made a statement that I believe to be incorrect you are quite capable of checking it without me showing you.

If I provided a URL for every question we wouldn't need the search function would we:rolleyes:

I don't have a point to prove but I think a search or a pm will reveal the answer is 8hp gain over stock.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Dave M

I thought we were only discussing the merits of Tridents, IXILs and D&Ds in this thread.

My comments about hp were only in reference to these pipes. You seem to have misunderstood this.

My questioning your comments was only an effort to bring some clarity to the thread and keep the discussion on track which I think is fair enough.

Cheers

Ralphus

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
Dave M

I thought we were only discussing the merits of Tridents, IXILs and D&Ds in this thread.
I did discuss the merits of the Trident exhaust by stating the hp gain which I think you have wrong.

My comments about hp were only in reference to these pipes. You seem to have misunderstood this.
That is what my comment was about, nothing was misunderstood your comment makes no sense?

So what did you mean when you said; Performance wise I doubt whether there would be more than 5 horsepower difference between the lot of them? What did that mean exactly ralphus?

You meant that each exhaust would not produce more than a 5 hp gain over stock, because that is the only way your sentence makes any sense.

My questioning your comments was only an effort to bring some clarity to the thread and keep the discussion on track which I think is fair enough.
I think my statement about contacting the manufacturer for proof of HP or searching for where Peter Sorell has stated that before on this forum many times is fair enough too.

Cheers

Ralphus

Nope I never misunderstood anything, you are not the only person here that understands things ralphus:rolleyes:

I think I understood it all very well thank you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In answer to your original question, I believe that this is a matter of personal choice, I have no previous knowledge of who's pipe is best, yet DaveM has helped in some way with real facts regarding the HP gain. Any Vendor wishing to sell a product in my opinion backs their product up with "real" figures, and your choice is directed from there.
However I find it offensive when someone "has a dig" at another members contribution and suggests that he/she is off track, yet provide a link to something that is not relevant in itself to the question asked.

Slowcharles I would suggest that this is going to be a difficult choice, as I do not know what your preference would be ! noise level, looks, costs etc. I hope your endeavours to find the right solution are assisted with helpfull responses, and not retortfull digs at others.
Regards
Ozzyfzr

·
Registered
53 Posts
My sixpence worth. I have a 2007 Sprint St with a two brothers end can. Horsepower gain is not massive but the weight loss from the stock end piece is substantial. The bike looks fantastic and has the most amazing sound of any bike i have heard. The tail tidy with LED tail light is also great.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well I think the Trident is a quality piece of kit (I did buy one :D)

One thing that the IXL and d&d did have as an advantage was the end of pipe removable baffles but now Trident have come up with their own the option to be loud or legal is now interchangeable as well with the Tridents.
I guess the only options now must be price or exclusiveness in having something different to the rest .

Another con (in my pillions opinion) is that now I have carbon fibre pipes the back seat doesn't get warm on cooler days for her

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I think most people prefer that the seat is cooler with the Trident carbons but it's nice to see you take your wife's comfort so seriously :D

I have yet to test the D&D on the dyno but the Tridents beat the Ixil on power by around 4 bhp and keep cooler than both the Ixil or the D%D as they are both all metal. Having said that most riders cannot even notice a 10 bhp difference on a bike across the range so it probably does not matter...

The sound levels are all subjective and I think you will find clips on all - not always a great indicator as the PC was not meant to give very good sound quality but it will give an idea.

In the end all fit, all sound better than stock, all have baffle options and all make more power than stock not less which is good enough for the road.

The best criteria to buy on I would say is which you like the look of best.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Thanks for chiming in Wolf.

Some good info and points for Slowcharles and others to consider.

BTW I'm a fan of your slash cuts I reckon they look great.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Slow Charles,

You probably know this but there is also the TOR and as Sprintrider mentioned, the Two Brothers also.

Wolf said they all fit, but I am not sure that's correct unless you are willing to do a little tweaking. I refer mainly to the IXIL which I previously had. Nice pipes, bad fit.

If you've read most of the threads, I think you should already have some idea of the pros and cons that have been mentioned. If you want a subjective opinion, I'd tell you I like the D and D overall for fit, finish and look. The collector pipe is very nicely made. For what's it worth, I currently have a TOR on my bike. It sounds good and fits perfect because it's factory, but there is no aesthetic factor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
After sometime looking at the pro's and con's I opted for the Trident with the baffles at the rear they arrived today:D so I'll take the skin of my knuckles and get these babies fitted asap

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
Thanks for that Peter,

I had hoped you were monitoring the thread and would jump in with some more info about your exhaust.:)

So the Trident makes the most hp gain and in my opinion looks the dogs bollocks too.

But looks are very subjective, each to their own.:)

DaveM

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is defiantly a personal opinion, I had struggled with this very issue. I picked the IXIL's, they sounded and looked the best IMHO.
I have received numerous complements on the look and sound. They truly make the Triple sound like it should!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AimoPaukku

as usual your stuff is fantastic!:)

So slowcharles how is the decision making process on this exhaust thing shaping up for you?:rolleyes:

:) It really seems like I have 3 or 4 basically identical choices. I feel that looks-wise I like the D&D, the trident and the ixil equally. And price-wise they are very alike.

My bike was in a crash and I just spent $1500 fixing the plastic so I am not racing to drop another $7-800 immediately. I think I will wait to see if a sale transpires for any of these exhausts. Otherwise I will probably get the cf trident- just because of the fact that they are cooler (literally )

1 - 20 of 25 Posts