Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, time to pick your brains..... have seen lots of people changing exhausts on 955i Tigers and going to the Triumph Off Road tune and being very happy with the results... anybody have any experience of what I could expect with a change of can and off road tune on a 885i ?? Is there a noticeable difference ( apart from the noise! ) Does fuel consumption get hammered?
Thanks in anticipation.. pic attached of my new toy :) in need of a good clean and a few choice extras;)

Chris

·
Registered
724 Posts
Nice bike Chris, looks clean enough to me. Mine came with TOR already fitted so I cant comment on any differences, but I believe it liberates a few horses.
The sound is great, espesh if you wind it up, and a nice burble and popping on the overrun. She delivers an average of 60mpg too.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I had 2 885's or 900i,as they are slower than the 955,you need the open can and map so it will pull a 19t sprocket,which makes all the difference if you travel distance,when i sold the bike i fitted the can straight onto my 955,and then changed again to a Remus,my stock can has been in a box these last 8 years.

·
Registered
226 Posts
nice bike mate

looks good i like the colour my 955i 06 is blue and i'm going to put a TOR can on my bike cant wait they sound well fruity mine needs a dame good clean also went for a thrash this afternoon some farmer covered one of the roads in thick mud bike got covered

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi Chris,

I have a Staintune on my '01 955. It has a removable baffle that I generally leave in. With the baffle out my wife complains about the noise from the back seat and it does have a bit of an annoying drone on the highway ( just my opinion).

Fuel consumption is either unaffected or slightly worse. The big upside for me is that with the off road tune installed the shudder just below 3000 rpm is virtually elliminated and you gain a noticable ammount of bottom end torque. Handy if you offroad your kitty.

The benefits remain with the baffle in, the note is nicer than stock so that's how I run it

·
Registered
54 Posts
do it

don't even think about it.
opens up the bottom a bit, zero effect on mileage (after 36K I still average @ 49)
And the sound... oh that sound...
Ever listened to The Who's Live at Leeds, really, really loud. On a great system?
7K in 3rd will put you in the same place...
Money well spent.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Looking at the picture someone has been working on the exhaust because the square collector box has gone and has been replaced with the straight through pipe that came with the offroad silencer as part of the kit,hence the different part number.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Well spotted winger:)why remove the cat if your not fitting the TOR?
Stoph, the only visible difference between the Triumph cans is a stamp that Triumph put on to inform Mr Plod that your running an illegal exhaust, it can be found between the heel guard and the lower rear footpeg hanger bracket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at the picture someone has been working on the exhaust because the square collector box has gone and has been replaced with the straight through pipe that came with the offroad silencer as part of the kit,hence the different part number.
Nice try...... but the square collector is still there.... just very well hidden from that angle!:rolleyes:
I'm guessing half the performance increase probably comes from losing that box in favour of a nice straight bit of pipe too.....
Seems most of the exhausts that are for sale dont include the link pipe just the box.. anybody know if link pipes can still be bought new??
Keep the replies coming... its all justification I can use on the Mrs as to why I need an exhaust when bike already has one...:D

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Must be the picture,whats on the joint corrosion or a jubilee clip!!,you can't buy the kit anymore they stopped it some time ago,unless you can find an old one in stock,or talk to the people who originally made e'm Motad!!!

I could write war and piece about that system,i had the first in the UK in 99 it didn't fit and neither did the 2nd or 3rd,the dealers didn't even know about how to run the system with a tune,or put the pipe on the collector box and not bother with the straight through pipe,i actually cut both the dealer and Triumph out in the end to force the situation as i knew who made e'm,but thats another story.

I ran mine both ways,you'll get more HP with the connecting pipe but less torque than if you carry on with the collector box,but it's easier to clean without.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Winger... its a clamp on the pipe just below the brake pedal although there is a little browning that needs cleaning off... If keeping the box means keeping more torque may just look for a silencer/connector to the collector box so I get torque and a nice noise too:) It may have to wait however... managed to get out for a ride today and had a few 'issues' that I need to research on the boards...or ask in a new thread:mad:
Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies... looks well worth doing but i think I'm probably too tight to spend lots of money on what is a 9 year old bike now.... will keep my eyes and ears open for something second hand and in the meantime try and find the time to ride the thing!!! Only managed 70 miles in the last month which I admit is rather pathetic!!!

Chris:)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I had two 885i's went to a dealer,test rode a 955 withing days of it coming out,i left my 885 bike there, i never rode it again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts