Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Exhaust cam bushings are too tight even after using the ball to ream it multiple times. Any advice on what to do next?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The ball will only work if a. the bushing is sintered bronze. b. the new is pre-sized so that the bushing will slip onto the cam before the bushing is offered to the case. The i.d. of the bushing will close up about .001" and the cam will no longer fit. Now you can drive the ball through the bushing at it will work.

It is interesting that the factory ones never needed to be pre-sized, they would fit on the cam out of the bag, but still needed to be balled sized after installation.

The ball will not work with solid bronze bushings! These will require machining and depending upon what they are made from they might not be able to be reamed, but cut with a sharp carbide tool.

And don't start on me about the ball - sintered bushing manufacturers recommend the process.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How can I tell what type of bronze it is? The intake bushing is just fine but the exhaust bushing is tight and bearly able to be spun by hand if at all. I have tried leaving the ball in side the bushing to "stretch it out" and no luck

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I've always just used an expanding reamer on the timing side cam bushes.
The reamer has a pilot screwed onto the end, so that engages in the drive-side bush. The pilot keeps it aligned on the axis between both bushes.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I use a hand reamer as Pete suggested above.
This applies to all bushes.
Take very small cuts and expand the reamer slowly each time until the shaft fits nicely.
Always turn the reamer clockwise.
Similar to this:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I buy a expanding reamer at the local autozone/lowes/home depot or do I need to buy it online? If so does someone have a link to the best one to use? By hanks for all the help!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The cost of a quality reamer and pilots might be more than to have a machine shop do the job.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts