Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know why the paint is baking off of this bracket which holds the exhaust in place? The clear coat on the paint seems to be gone and the paint seems to be discoloring. Should I have the dealer take a look? Between that and the other yellowing on my headers, it seems odd that this type of damage is only on the left side. Bike isn’t even 2 years old...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Are you sure it’s heat related? I bought my T120 before you did and I’m assuming have put a lot more miles on mine (looks like you have stock Pirellis on still and I’ve burned through two sets of tires and 14K miles). That part should mot get that hot so I’m wondering if it’s the residuals of chemicals or salt.

As for the exhaust discoloration, some get it a little, others don’t. I have on spit on the right side. It’s nothing compared to the browning on my former BMW.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure it’s heat related? I bought my T120 before you did and I’m assuming have put a lot more miles on mine (looks like you have stock Pirellis on still and I’ve burned through two sets of tires and 14K miles). That part should mot get that hot so I’m wondering if it’s the residuals of chemicals or salt.

As for the exhaust discoloration, some get it a little, others don’t. I have on spit on the right side. It’s nothing compared to the browning on my former BMW.

I don’t think it had to do with anything chemical related. The other side shows signs of the same but not as severe. Also, no other paint or chrome in the vicinity shows any signs of this. If it was chemical, I’d expect to see it on other areas....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
True about the other areas. I would guess that you just got a defectively painted part. Seems like a dealer issue.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Bad batch of paint, not mixed right, done on a Monday morning after a big weekend on the booze, who knows, see if they will replace them or just get a rattle can of spray paint and fix it yourself, probably not prepared right from the factory.

Ashley

1 - 6 of 6 Posts