Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have Scrambler 2006 and I just took out the AI, and put on TOR muffler, my pipes are getting much more blue?? as well I dont need to use my choke any longer??
Any idea why this happens? :confused:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Probably running too lean which equals more heat and more blue. Your moving more air with the mods you have done so you need to add more fuel to richen it up. I would look into a jet kit to mach your mods. Theres a product called Blue Job that gets the blue off the pipes. I get it at my local Harley dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Keep in mind that when you heat metal it turns colors regardless. Exhausts with shiny pristine surfaces usually are either not ridden or have outer shields running the length of the pipe to look all fancy like.

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,802 Posts
I don't think your either/or covers all options;

I rode the heck out of this bike, so it got heated. And I guarantee the stock exhaust on the CB650 did not have double walls. Dare I suggest that the chrome is thicker?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I like the blue on my pipes...people ask why my pipes are so blue...I tell them I ride it more than I clean it...:D

·
Registered
237 Posts
My t-100 had blue pipes so I got a thin header wrap in white to match the bike.... no more blue..
Single wall pipes are the culprit here

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dare I suggest that the chrome is thicker?

If it didn't blue, it's not chrome. Chrome plated pipes turn colors almost as soon as you fire them up. I had a set of chrome headers on a Mustang once (I got them cheap) and they were all sorts of colors over the entire length of the primaries within minutes of the first fire. Granted that headers in the engine bay of my Mustang autocross car are going to get significantly hotter than the primaries on a naked motorcycle, but they're still well above the color change temperature for the plating on those pipes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
More on blue pipes

I jumping in here late, but I really like the look of the blue pipes. Mine is only on the first bend and about half way down to the second bend. I cant tell you how many Harley riders ask me "You need to check you carbs man, your pipes are bluing." I tell them that is the way that Triumph sets it up, single wall pipes. When I explain that other bikes, namely Harleys, use double walls, they seem to scratch their heads in disbelief.

Mine turned blue in the first week I had the bike. I now have 2400 miles on it. I just got back from a two day ride on Skyline Drive in Virginia, put 750 miles on the bike in two days. No problems at all and no more blue.

To me, it makes a Triumph a Triumph. Its a bike that should look ridden, not a show bike.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I don't think your either/or covers all options;

I rode the heck out of this bike, so it got heated. And I guarantee the stock exhaust on the CB650 did not have double walls. Dare I suggest that the chrome is thicker?
I'd bet it is.
My 76 Bonneville has original chrome headpipes and no blue.
Another key is to not put cold water on hot pipes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts