Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I really want to put new exhaust on my Thrux but I am concerned about issues passing State Inspection. Will I have any problems passing inspection if I put Preds, Norman and Hyde Peashooters, or EPCO exhaust on my thrux? If so, are there any aftermarket exhaust systems that are better than others for passing inspection. I live in Massachusetts by the way, if anyone has experience there. I am kind of new to bikes so sorry if this is a dumb question.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Ask your inspection station (if a privately own place) if they will fail you. Most places are cool... but better to ask before you drop the doe. Also go to HD dealerships... they normally dont care.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As a fellow masshole I can tell you that you will be fine. I have one of the setups that you mentioned and they don't give it a second look. In mass it's more about safety than emmisions and noise. They will give you a hard time for the following, no chaingard, no horn, no liscense plate illumination. This year I am determined to pass I just need to dig up all my scrapped parts.

·
Registered
82 Posts
With slip ons, couldn't you always just put your stock back on long enough to go get it tested?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
05 Thrux, that is good to know thanks.

I guess I could always put the original back on for inspection, but I am kind of new to bikes so I will have to see how difficult it is going to be for me to do work on the bike myself. I am planning on doing most of my own work, but like I said not too much experience so I don;t want to take on tasks that I will not be able to complete.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Also in MA. I'm been told I won't pass due to non DOT blinkers and have been forced to stick the OEM stuff on first. I haven't been given trouble with TOR's. They don't sound loud until pulling into the inspection bay. I'm careful not to roll the throttle in there.

Most of the inspection guys mention other custom bike shops I should be going to instead because they don't care. Unfortunately custom shops all seem to have inconvenient hours.

MA is supposedly going to begin an initiative to crack down on not DOT equipment and exhaust, but I'll guess it will be another thing that can't get enforced because police won't be given proper way's (or just plain lazy) to prove it's not DOT. It will be the day when a cop comes out with micrometers and calipers to measure blinker sizes and distances from head and tail lamps. There is a table someplace that includes everything needed for a bike to be legal in MA.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Also in Mass, have TOR's on my Thruxton, no problems with inspection. Have lived in Mass for seven years, have owned five different street-legal bikes here. Here's exactly what they have done to inspect each of them:

1. Start bike.

2. Check headlight, taillight, and license-plate light.

3. Check turn indicator lights.

4. Check that brake light actuates with both front and rear levers.

5. Honk horn.

6. Slap on sticker and tell me to ride safely.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
It's all on the state.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ask your inspection station (if a privately own place) if they will fail you. Most places are cool... but better to ask before you drop the doe. Also go to HD dealerships... they normally dont care.
hey, clean out your private message inbox, so i can send you a private message... re: NJ.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts