Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been installing/re-installing a D&D 2 into 1 exhaust and am getting a small (puffer:)) air leak at the header/Y-pipe joint. No other leaks.

I'm in touch with the good folks at D&D, or will be next week, but wanted to pose the unobvious question of whether I should worry about it wrg lean conditions. The pipes sound absolutely amazing and the only lean indication is off-WOT, which a bigger main should help.

What are your thoughts? Live with it or keep trying to get the pipes aligned? Or return them and get something else?

I'd also like to rule out using RTV--I've had it on these pipes and experienced no leak and the bike ran and sounded the same with the small air leak. I hate the crap and since I'll be taking the pipes off a good bit for maintenance/jacking, I don't want to deal with it. I've removed all the RTV and am going to reassemble without.

Thanks...Jack

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Air leak

I'd be careful if it were me, anytime you get hot exhaust gasses going through a little hole or passage that close to the engine might be problematic down the line.....
I have no idea how to seal it if you dont' want to use RTV maybe you can juggle things around and get a good seal that way. Without seeing the hole or knowing how big and where it is makes it difficult to judge where you're at.
Any way you can post a close up pic of the leak?

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
lol you really hate rtv .RTV is a must on most pipes on these bikes.Just seal it up with rtv and ride the thing.If you put it on the header pipe about a 1/4 inch from the end of the pipe and slide pipe in you wont even know its there.do you have the pipe slid in all the way to the weld spot? thats how they should be.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
koi, it's not a hole, it's at the joint of the header and y-pipe, which by design (to allow for alignment), don't fit snug.

I guess I'll try the RTV crap again if I don't get a seal but I'll prob ride with the puffer for a while to judge. When I first put RTV on it, I still got the leak. Then I put a small bead around the outer edge, which looked like crap but sealed it.

Jack

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
put it around the pipe that goes inside then slip it in .Those clamps will tighten alot to.
if you get the rtv on right it should kinda come out the end of the joint .let it dry then you can rub off any that looks bad after it drys.use black you cant hardly see it.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
you know what is kinda strange mine needed to have smaller main jets with those pipes .How does it pull at 6000 rpm up now? they moved the power up in the rpm range on my bike and gave it alot more max hp.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you know what is kinda strange mine needed to have smaller main jets with those pipes .How does it pull at 6000 rpm up now? they moved the power up in the rpm range on my bike and gave it alot more max hp.
It pulls fantastic mid-range. Like to rip my hands off the bike. But it seems to stop pulling at high revs, high speed.

I did the "off-throttle" test: run at WOT for a few seconds, then back off just 1/8th--if it surges, it's lean, which is what I perceive to be happening. I'll see how it runs with the 150s tomorrow.

Am I right in remembering that 2/1s are supposed to pull better at top speed than at low and mid-range? I'll try to get a dyno run in the next week or so, too.

Thanks..

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd really like to meet up and hear these pipes. What are you doing on Wednesday? I'm free all day.
I think I'm free all day too.

Assuming everything is running right today and assembled I'll run over to your house tomorrow and get the carbs sync'd.

They are wicked sounding, man. Pure violence.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
sweet man. Sometime in the not-too-early am would be great.
What a day. Rode about 90 miles around Hamilton Pool road / 71, with a riding buddy. The bike peformed brilliantly--I think the 150s did the trick.

It seems to want to live in the 4-5k rpm range and has a boggy sound much lower that I attribute to the pipe.

Tomorrow am I'm going to RTV the last joint, which had never leaked before but has a small backdraft. So it would be best to run it no earlier than noon or so. The performance feels terrific.

Also put new Avons on today. Can I just take this opportunity to say what a pain in the butt it is to put the rear wheel back on? Can I? The tires are great too. Suspension's next.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
sito if you do the cpu remap and add more timing i bet that bog will go away.jeff might have a procom he might let you plug up and see if its helps to give you a idea.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sito if you do the cpu remap and add more timing i bet that bog will go away.jeff might have a procom he might let you plug up and see if its helps to give you a idea.
???

Isn't this for EFI only?

The bike runs great. But I am going to get with ten to dyno it and fine tune--good suggestion.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts