Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Im new to the forums here - from Sydney, Australia.

I'm very close to purchasing a sports tourer and have narrowed it down to VFR/Sprint ST 1050. There seems to be alot of riders in both camps singing each bikes praises...I'm also on a VFR forum. But after a trip to my local Triumph dealer here in Sydney last week, he said that he trades alot of VFR's for Sprints...hmmm, I thought this might make a good Thread here. Just wanted to know if there are many ex-VFR riders here that have been swayed over to Triumph and are also happy they have a Sprint now. The salesman seemed like a nice enough chap - but we all know they have more torque than a steam turbine on a Naval Destroyer.

I must say that im leaning toward the Sprint anyway for it's simplistic engine design - no fiddly VTEC....and it's looks are dead sexy! - So any ex VFR riders that can give and comparisons to the Sprint would be great.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Welcome mat out

Hi and welcome to the forum Harbournet:)

There are indeed a few ex VFR and probably current owners on board here.

The main gripe we get on this board about the later gebneration VFR's is the power delivery from the Vetec system is sudden and when you don't want it, i.e. at full lean mid corner at the apex when you start to pour it on, you do not want 500cc Motogp type power, you want smooth torque which is where the Sprint shines.

Over to the VFR owners or ex owners..................

On being a noob Don and I ask all new members to please read oyr forum stickies, thanks in advance.:)

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I haven't owned a VFR, but I looked into it as a possibility before I bought my Sprint 10 months ago.
I think the VFR is too small for me, it doesn't come with bags, has a smaller engine, and costs nearly the same price!
Plus, it's just a Honda, it doesn't have the uniqueness of the Triumph! :cool:

Good luck on your decisions!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't owned a VFR either, but seriously considered one before buying my Sprint a few weeks ago. I have an 04 TBS and commute a lot so I decided to sell it and get something with wind protection.

I bought a Honda Civic for the winter commuting and am amazed at
the reliability and mileage so I thought I would just get a Honda bike and enjoy the perfectness on both vehicles. I have had a few "issues" with the TBS, but nothing that would stop me from buying Triumph, even though to me it was a more risky purchase.

I had an opportunity to test ride a new Sprint and by the time I got into third gear I knew this was the bike! It just oozes character, not to mention the great looks. I'm really drawn to good looking bikes and I think Triumphs have the style down pat. I really
tried to like the looks of a VFR, but it just doesn't work for me.

So at least for me perfect is ok for a car, but I'm happy with my decision and so far my Sprint has been perfect too.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Here is another haven't owned comment.... I seriously considered the VFR before getting the Sprint, BUT... less power, less class, less speed, MORE insurance payments..... and once I saw the Sprint 'in the flesh' I was sold, it is SO much better looking, SUCH a pretty bike... and since owning it, I LOVE it. :cool:

There is a reason the Sprint is known as 'The VFR killer' in VFR circles. ;)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well, I had a VFR... for ten year... the "pre" Vtech one... alas, the "good" one. I enjoyed it a lot.. .ended up selling it almost reluctantly for a mule bike/starting bike to my best friend (says a lot, doesnt it ?) and overall did more than 150 000km on it.. .so what is it for you bloke that speaks mph... 93 000 miles ? Yeah, I think I liked it ;)

What sold me to a sprint over changing for a new VFR or anything else thats Sport touring (is there anything else really?) was when I rode one night with a fellow local club member and we simply pulled away for a very easy overpass of a car in the middle lane... pretty much I had to drop 2 gears to try and follow him whereas he simply stayed in 6th a along for a rollover from 120 to 160km/h... that kind of "It will always be there kinda torque curve" sold me the Sprint, along with the good look, exquisite sound...and low seat height as I am vertically challenged in the leg deparment.

Thats it... Rode it 17 000km approx. the first season and they're short here... and can't wait to take it out right now... ;) :) :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm a former VFR owner, I had a '96 VFR for 7 years. Loved that bike. When I decided to replace it I almost bought a white '06 VFR but I was not hearing to many good things about the VTEC so held off. At that time I had not yet looked at Triumph...When I did that '06 VFR was a distant memory. I will admit though, had it been blue I probably would have bought it anyway.
When I looked at and road the Sprint I was hooked and since it was blue it was a no brainer.

Speed Safe,
Don

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sprint vs VFR

Interesting thread as a mate and I are soon to rejoin the 'clan' after a 20 yr hiatus. I'm getting the Sprint (red abs) and he likes the VFR. Can't really explain why we differ on this. I reckon the Sprint wins hands down for all the reasons listed above; love its looks, performance, exhaust note etc,etc..My mate thinks the same about the VFR although he does waver when we discuss the engine size difference. He is smaller than me though and I just look too big on the VFR... I'm going to forward him all the comments made here even though they are all a bit biased toward the better bike... Look forward to more discussion and helpful hints...

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Interesting thread as a mate and I are soon to rejoin the 'clan' after a 20 yr hiatus. I'm getting the Sprint (red abs) and he likes the VFR. Can't really explain why we differ on this. I reckon the Sprint wins hands down for all the reasons listed above; love its looks, performance, exhaust note etc,etc..My mate thinks the same about the VFR although he does waver when we discuss the engine size difference. He is smaller than me though and I just look too big on the VFR... I'm going to forward him all the comments made here even though they are all a bit biased toward the better bike... Look forward to more discussion and helpful hints...
plodder,

your friend is going to find he has to stir his gearbox an awful lot to keep up with you and he is going to putting on higher revs tan you will ever require.

·
Registered
326 Posts
plodder,

your friend is going to find he has to stir his gearbox an awful lot to keep up with you and he is going to putting on higher revs tan you will ever require.

+1

Make sure he test rides a Sprint BEFORE he buys a brand new VFR... otherwise he'll hate you for you not saying anything ;) :D

BTW, not biased... its just that I know my english... good is good, better is better, and then, there's the Sprint ;)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had the '04 VFR and, while it was a very good bike, the Sprint is in a higher class altogether. On the Sprint, I don't have to get into VTEC to feel good acceleration. The Sprint is considerably more comfortable too but it is the superb Triumph triple engine that really sets it apart and above. --Ken B.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Three test rides

In coming off a Ducati 749r I just knew in order to keep enjoying 'biking (for me) I had to go for a less 'aggressive' bike, but one that had 'sporty' in its' genes.

I tried a Ducati ST2 and 4, a Honda VFR (nearly went with that) until the dealer said what an ST 1050 Triumph.

Well I said, it would be too tall, never thought of it - err - okay then.

Well, the two Ducatis were ok, but not what I wanted. The VFR was very capable, bullet proof (probably) but ultimately - soulless and so after a 10 minute Sprint test ride (versus over 2 hours on the Ducati and Honda) I went with the Triumph.

Soul - surely that's what fun motorcycling is really about?:D

·
Registered
124 Posts
+1 Make sure he test rides a Sprint BEFORE he buys a brand new VFR... otherwise he'll hate you for you not saying anything
+1... The ST wasn't even on my radar and a ride on one was purely accidental (the dealer had one there and it seemed like a good idea at the time).
In the end, choosing the ST was a no-brainer even after riding a dozen other bikes - some costing way more.
In this instance, friends don't let friends ride Hondas..

Muz

·
Registered
764 Posts
The Silverstreak had VFR before buying his Sprint 1050. He is a much faster rider now because the Sprint is much easier to ride.

I can't keep up with bugger now.:mad:

·
Registered
20 Posts
VFR vs Sprint

He needs to ride one of the newer models. The last time we went out he rode a 2002 Sprint and complained about the heat generated around his legs. I've been trying to tell him that the newer models have improved on this past problem. So you're right - he needs to jump on a new one. He also didn't take kindly to me calling him "smaller" - perhaps a little shorter would have been more polite. - Paul

·
Registered
20 Posts
+1

Make sure he test rides a Sprint BEFORE he buys a brand new VFR... otherwise he'll hate you for you not saying anything ;) :D

BTW, not biased... its just that I know my english... good is good, better is better, and then, there's the Sprint ;)
Sorry guys, didn't read above threads first - comments on previous thread relate to above that was made yesterday.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I had/rode an '00 VFR for many pleasurable miles both in touring and sport mode. Went through a series of bikes, 1100S BMW, GS Adv BMW and finally a Honda Blackbird. The VFR was pretty much my favorite of the bunch, followed closely by the 1100S. Now we are talking 50K miles or more on each of these bikes so the new was certainly worn off.

I crashed my 'bird back in September and physical problems resulting from the crash kept me off bikes till last night. Picked up an '08 leftover Sprint in Graphite, never test rode the bike, just made an assumption that it would be kinda a VFR with more motor.

Well, we all know what assume translates to.

Sprint is lighter, has more motor by a big bunch, turns steers and does all that good stuff way better. It's also a good deal more comfy right out of the box. At only 106 miles, I'm still exploring but the love is developing quickly. I'm really gonna like this bike.

A couple of tiny niggles. Luggage is not what it could be. Funny shapes to the inside of the bags and an 11 lb limit don't fit my touring requirements. I'll probably just overload them a bit with soft stuff and they'll be fine. I'll keep the heavier stuff in a bag across the pillion seat. Honda factory bags were much better in terms of usable internal volume vs external volume. I'll probably wind up with a Givi trunk for long distance/time work.

I would like a bigger alternator. I tend to run extra lighting, heated clothing and XM/GPS plus V1. I think I'll be all right but near the limit of the current system.

Seat has a slight forward pitch to it the has me sitting on the wedding tackle after an hour or so in the saddle. Bad idea. I can fix it with different undergarmemts but that might not be the optimum solution. Is the gel seat better in this respect?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I put the gel seat on mine and I am amazed at the difference - worth every penny IMO.... I do still tend to gravitate towards the tank though... but not as bad and feel much more 'attached' to the bike (which I like).

·
Registered
61 Posts
I put the gel seat on mine and I am amazed at the difference - worth every penny IMO.... I do still tend to gravitate towards the tank though... but not as bad and feel much more 'attached' to the bike (which I like).
Is there a height difference with this seat when you are on it?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts