Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently installed the Evotech tailtidy and the Givi mudflap (RM02 with RM6412KIT mounting kit), below are a few pics for those who may be on the fence.
Mudflap was easy install, I marked where the wheel alignment bolt was situated so that I wouldn't need to redo a complete alignment, seemed to work out.
The Evotech instructions for the tailtidy assume that you can read between the lines and figure things out yourself, but all worked out in the end.

Havent rode (ridden? what's the proper past tense?) in the rain yet, can't comment on the effect of the mudflap, but I do like the cosmetic look, sometimes I think the tailtidies leave the rear of the bike looking a little 'naked' or 'unfinished'.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
These style mudflaps/rain guards seem to be a love it or hate it affair.

I put a similar one on the grom and had no issues with it.

Thanks for posting this one for the Triumph. I think I may go with the same, as I hate all of that water and road spray during my jaunts!

**EDIT: YOWCH!! $100+ just for the hardware, and another $100 for the flap. I really miss ordering cheap Grom parts**

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These style mudflaps/rain guards seem to be a love it or hate it affair.

**EDIT: YOWCH!! $100+ just for the hardware, and another $100 for the flap. I really miss ordering cheap Grom parts**
Yeah, it was annoying that the European prices are so much lower, even after conversion to US dollar, but there's always the uncertainty of duty at the border (basically 100 Euros for both the flap and kit on an italian website I was looking at, which is $112...but it looks like the American prices factor in all border taxes and duties, I don't know why the huge price differential).

·
Premium Member
8,614 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Twisted Throttle has the mud flap and RM02 mounting kit for Pre-order. Haven't seen anywhere else yet.
That’s where I got mine, they say preorder but it’s available immediately, they order directly from the Givi warehouse here in the US. Mine came in a few days. I’d call to make sure there is still stock.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just placed my order for this combo!

Recently did a midnight commute for 3 hours, with the last 30 minutes in the rain. My tail tidy was already done so no rear protection at all....

Was a decent down pour and no issues with handling but I was not impressed with having my arse in a cold shallow basin from all the road throwback.

Ordered my parts from a Canadian Online Retailer, fortnine.com.

My only concern is the durability.

There are a few guys that have been running this setup for the last year flawlessly. Then there's a few others on their second/third warranty replacement from the alloy frame that supports the mudflap that fails. I had a similar experience with my first bike having inferior materials used for a license plate bracket holder where it would just fall apart from vibrations, so .... fingers crossed I get a good batch!

·
Premium Member
8,614 Posts
I also just ordered one from Twisted Throttle. Unfortunately, they don't have the adapter yet, but they did already ship the mudguard. I got some good news on the job front - as in I might actually be getting one - for which I will want to commute on the bike as much as possible, because it's in or close to Washington, DC and the HOV lanes are free for motorcycles. I'm going to wait to find out what the parking/office facilities are like before I buy the other bit I want - a Klim Hardinger one-piece suite.

·
Premium Member
8,614 Posts
I got the flap and adapter today. Haven't installed it yet, but did assemble it. My first impression was I just gained back any weight I might have lost with the slip-on, 520 conversion, etc. Not sure how the adapter could fail, it feels like it's made of armor plate.

The adapter was drop shipped, but despite the flap appearing to come from Twisted Throttle, they didn't put any stickers in the box. I thought maybe putting one on the flap would be a nice highlight (I think they are reflective). I'll have to check to see if I have any in my stash.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guess I should've ordered from twisted!

I ordered mine over the weekend and it still took an entire weekday for Fortnine to find the parts in their warehouse before sending them out... and still at least a week for shipping from Quebec to Alberta ... /sigh

I hope mine's as strong as yours sounds!

·
Premium Member
8,614 Posts
Twisted Throttle is one of my favorite places to shop.

I installed the mud flap this morning. Easy as pie, and can now officially confirm it fits the previous gen 675, if there are any other 675 riders who like to lurk in this forum like me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I rode mine on very wet roads, it mostly works but doesn't cut out all the spray. Some still hit my back, but it did take quite a while before it started pooling into the back of my pants, so that's a good sign that at the very least it's blocking a large portion of spray or else I would have been soaked nearly immediately.

I'm trying to gauge if the spray is coming from the sides of the tires, or simply from the top of the guard and making its way past the license plate. Maybe I can slide the licence plate down a little more...

This whole thing will become a 6-sigma experiment by the time I'm done with it. Probably need at least 3 repeats of the same condition to build 95% confidence...

·
Premium Member
8,614 Posts
I'm hoping that between the flap and my tail bag, I will have acceptable results. I've also thought about attaching a screen or maybe some sort of fabric to the inside of the flap to catch the water that hits the inside, so it doesn't just splash off. I think everyone has seen the mudflaps some trucks have with what looks like black astroturf on the tire side to prevent spray. I'd like to do something like that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I don't have any experience with a tail tidy and none with rain riding on my Street Triple. Does the factory setup do much to stop spray? Do you need to do something like this if you install a tail tidy to keep the water off?

What is the practical impact of running a tail tidy?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,614 Posts
I don't have any experience with a tail tidy and none with rain riding on my Street Triple. Does the factory setup do much to stop spray? Do you need to do something like this if you install a tail tidy to keep the water off?

What is the practical impact of running a tail tidy?

Thanks.
No, the stock unit doesn't do anything to keep spray off you.

You would need something like this if you have a tail tidy. The was a yuge fender available from Triumph that attached to the stock tail, but I think it would be next to impossible to find now. It's #26 here:

https://us.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5596340/street-triple-r-from-vin-560477/rear-mudguard-no-plate-brkt

There is no practical impact of running a tail tidy. It's purely for aesthetics. The tail tidies look better and since you really aren't loosing any practicality in regards to protection from spray in the rain, why not?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts