Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
A mate just showed me a component he has in his shed and asked me what it was and it's value if any, I identify it as a Lucas racing contact breaker unit as fitted to the factory Daytona's in their racing heyday.
It has two sets of contact breaker points under the cover.
Am I right? and if so is it of any value as he wants to dispose of it.

ocr

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
I'm sure it has value, maybe excellent value.

Personally, I'd put it on e-bay with a $100 starting price and no reserve, and see what the market will bear.

Be prepared for LOTS of e-mails to end the auction and sell for a chunk of change.

I'll give $100 cash and $20 for postage if he doesn't want to fuss with it.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
What is the direction of rotation on the unit? They were built in both CW and CCW types.
I'll check with him about that, I only had a quick look but it appears to be brand new, un-used and has original Lucas points in there with brown fibre rubbing blocks.
I'll get some more detailed pictures.Not sure about the direction of rotation but as racing units they have no AAU in there and are driven by an Oldham coupling (peg and slot)

ocr

·
Registered
55 Posts
It IS funny that I just read this topic! I have a 1971 T120 in my garage that I'm actually trying to go back together with. It's not anywhere close to being stock, although serial numbers do match. It's a four speed, and simply don't know what I'm gonna do with it. I have ridden the bike about 80 miles or so, and it runs good. Just have to install the rings, cylinder and head (removed to inspect just after I bought it in August).
I'm 55 years old, live in Atlanta Georgia, and think this would be lots of fun! Count me in!!!
I'll be attending some events this year for sure....

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Once again, I got a free ride on a sidecar just be asking (and, of course, renewing my license). I'm going to Barber's!
I met those people at Sonoma - What a fantastic group! Open, caring... you know... racers! Have fun Paul - We'll be watching for you on TV - Update us with who your riding with.

·
Registered
605 Posts
A few years ago I built this for AHRMA racing in the 250 class. The engine was fully built as a racer:

Arias 12.5:1 piston
DLC coated wristpin
Fully ported and flowed head by master head designer Jim Comstock
Big stainless valves with new custom made seats
Full roller treatment to the rocker pins
Ditched the hairpin springs for coils and titanium retainers
Full race cam
No flywheel, no stator, lightened clutch basket with a higher primary drive ratio
We will run points through a dyna coil with total loss electrics
36mm Delorto PHF carb with a hand made manifold (thanks Dan!) and Melossi venturi
I made the exhaust system from stainless with parts sourced from Cone Engineering

I ended up selling it to a racer, I never heard back from him so I have no idea if it ever saw the track.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
A few years ago I built this for AHRMA racing in the 250 class. The engine was fully built as a racer: <snip>... I ended up selling it to a racer, I never heard back from him so I have no idea if it ever saw the track.
Holy CRIPES !! That's gorgeous : -)

I bet it's sitting in the middle of some guy's living room.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
This is my contribution....I built this 650 Triumph for land speed racing...It has set several speed records with my friend riding it...A few months ago it ran 133.1 MPH at the 1-1/2 track in Loring Maine. It may not be fair to compare speeds at the various LSR track, but no modified production( naked stock based frame) 650 push rod engine on gas has run faster on any track...

The bike previously ran 127 MPH looking like this....And at times was ridden on to street to a few local shows..

·
Super Moderator
13,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
It is ENTIRELY fair to compare one LSR track's speeds to the others. Anyone who knows anything at all about racing knows that a two long straight stretches of pavement can, by themselves be so different that it is not to be believed. Add to that atmospheric conditions. Then, as a topper, consider altitude!

All things considered, your bike is fantastic. 40 MPH faster than mine at the Goliad, Texas Mile, but I was geared for road racing, and it was just a complimentary pass as a race weekend volunteer (still great fun)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Paul, thanks, it's means something coming from you....
I have to do more tuning on this thing next..it ran an easy 142 MPH on the first run with the the rider holding back to test the stability...But after that it devoloped a persistent carb flooding issue

This is me with the bike at my Shop of Horrors...The scrap pile in the background contributed a few parts...:grin2:

101 - 120 of 150 Posts