Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
61 - 80 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd love to check out vintage racing. I live in central Texas, and don't see anything on the calendar nearby. Anybody know of something within a day's drive or so? Not quite ready to race yet, until I get the electrical gremlins out of my 70 tr6r.

·
Registered
71 Posts
what a great read, thanks fella's, last sunday i went to round 3 of the australian superbike championships just out of brisbane, i have no desire to go that fast , but im thinking about my rd350lc , even though i restored it ,it just sits there, even though im 125kg it still would be fun, hope nobody minds not being a triumph

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's not a Triumph, but I'm putting my first foot in the water in two weeks with a 1973 R75/5. Running with a few other vintage guys at a US Desmo event. If it goes well I'm hoping to work my way up to vintage racing in earnest. With two small kids I can't afford to travel to the AHRMA events (yet), are there other vintage racing events on the east coast? As far as bikes go, I've also got a 73 Triumph Tiger 750 with a few bugs to sort out but otherwise solid, and a 73 RD350 that will be a winter project. Any thoughts on suitability for the track? I have by far the most experience and comfort level with the R75, so it's the pick for now, but willing to look at other options.

·
Registered
33 Posts
GrandPaulZ -
Just wondered if you made it to Barber again this year? There were over 600 riders this year. There were some really great races. Kevin Schwantz & Jay Springsteen were among the lot, along with a big group from New Zealand and some European riders mixed in as well. I helped a friend with his '64 Norton #66, raced in Sportsman 750 & Bears, came in 2nd in @ race Sunday. (see pic) It was a great Festival. Ducati made it their National Rally destination with DucStock, along with ACE Cafe London, and CAFE RACER TV as well. Saturday was HUGE in attendees. I volunteered with the Flori/Bama Riders and kept the Swap Meet under control. Lots of venders this year, 150 were on the waiting list, and pre-event ticket sales were up 150% over last year. If it was made, there was some part for it in the swap meet! It is becoming almost as big as Vintage Days in Ohio. Great weather also. An event every motorcyclist could enjoy.
roadduster2
that norton is amazing!

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
I did consider vintage bike racing once, a few years ago. I chatted to several of the racers at a Cadwell Park vintage racing weekend, to get ideas on how to get started. I was thinking something like a C15 would be a good way in, being cheap and fairly easy to tune (though not so easy to make reliable). There were several C15 racers that weekend, some of them outpaced 250 Ducatis, but more down to rider skill than power I suspect.

What put me off was the enormous cost involved. For a start, several hundred quid for the right leathers, helmet etc. Then a van or at least a decent trailer. Then the bike itself, which would need a lot spending even on a C15, if it were to have any chance at all of not crawling round embarrassingly slowly. Then entry fees, travel costs, time off work (people travel hundreds of miles every week or two in the season, and stay all weekend, meaning Friday and Monday off work). Then there's all the consumables you'd get through like tyres, chains, sprockets, cables, oils etc - all at a much faster rate than road riding. And just about everyone I spoke to said they had a spare engine plus spare wheels with different tyres etc.

Maybe things are different in USA but here, unless you're well-off, or so obsessed you don't mind spending all your time and money on your hobby, or you happen to be good enough and lucky enough to get a generous sponsor, its totally out of the question for anyone of modest means like me.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Yeah, its a shame because I'd love to thrash my T140 round a racetrack along with other classic bikes. Maybe I'll do one of these non-competetive trackdays this summer, if I can borrow some proper leathers: still quite expensive even for these though - about £150 a day I think. Worth it for the craic though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I started doing track days several years ago with a Suzuki SV650 (little V-twin with not too much power and good handling). I had just graduated to novice racing and was getting ready to bring my '68 T100 Daytona to track days when they closed the track and then tore it up for a warehouse. Bummer. Now the closest we get is short sections of twisties on back roads. One of the not-so-good things about Hawaii.

61 - 80 of 150 Posts