Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a set on back order for my '08 since early September. I am considering canceling the order but maybe a few more questions will help me decide:

Is the shape of the grip an issue?

How much extra weight is added?

Does the heater control fit in what is currently the long, thin blank cover on the left handlebar switch housing?

It must be lightweight and a super-clean, intergrated installation. I saw a Rocket with an accessory-style heated grip control switch on the left bar and I prefer a factory look instead.

Thanks!

·
Registered
896 Posts
I`d like to get hold of some Dual stars & a flat panel rocker switch
however its difficult for me to contact them to order as I`m in the UK and they don`t have a web shop, so without the help of someone in the US I`m stuck

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I have the "factory" heated grips installed on my ST (done at the dealers)... The grips have different ribs in them to the non heated grips and are slightly fatter - I find them more comfortable as I have large hands and they fit a little better..... There is a three position toggle switch installed in the left fairing top surface just behind where the 'bars sit when riding, center is 'off' one way is 'warm' and the other is 'hot'.

I have not used them in anger yet as it has not got that cold, but they warmed up nicely under test. :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have the factory heated grips. Makes the late fall night rides a pleasure to go way off track instead of a pain with frozen hands. The rocker switch on the left hand infill panel is easy to use with gloves. It would be nice if it had a led for night time use. I find the change in grip size a non-issue. My winter gloves are pretty thick and still fit around the grip with ease.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Do not waste your time with Dual Star. If you call you will not get through they are a very busy small shop.

Try ordering from California Sport Touring. I stopped in last time I was in their area and it is a great shop. The owner is a long distance rider and is great to deal with. He offered me the use of his lift and shop to simply look the bike over, or do anything I wanted to on it.

http://www.casporttouring.com/store...ode=CST&Product_Code=16025&Category_Code=SYMT

The symtec heated grip is what Dual Star sells as well. I have used both and even though Dual Star is 30 miles from me I get faster and better service ordering from California.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Thanks NotSoFast & garyhjd for the links.
I`m not a fan of the chunky OEM grips.
However it seems California Sport Touring do have a webstore which dual star don`t have, and at a 1/4 of the cost of the OEM heated grips I`m sorely tempted.
however I cannot find out what the int`l shipping would be to the UK and there doesn`t seem to be an email address listed for me to contact them to enquire. once I know the overall cost then I can order, at that price import taxes should be a problem either

oldndumb that sure looks a cool clean install of the rocker switch, did you have any problems with the install of the switch into the LH side switch gear?
did you use the heat shrink insulation for the left bar?
where did you take the power feed from?
did you use grip puppies?
do you have any pics of the install?

however THIS method of installing suits me as I have a spare set of grips, and could swop them out when the warmer weather returns

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Peirre, that pic was not from my bike. I'm a 'manly man' and don't need any heated grips. That, and the fact that I live in Florida. :D
Besides, I am too bashful to ever say, "Can't get much nicer than that" about one of my own installs.

I saw it in:
http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php?topic=9458.0
and bookmarked it because It was a nice installation. I much prefer that switch to the std Triumph location.

Since the R/R was relocated to the area under the left infill panel for 08+, I wonder if there is any clearance problem between it and the switch?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Peirre this is my install.

oldndumb that sure looks a cool clean install of the rocker switch, did you have any problems with the install of the switch into the LH side switch gear?
I removed the pass switch to make room for the rocker; I consider the pass switch useless. I cut the hole very carefully and slowly with a Dremel and filled the hole from the pass switch with black rtv. It is a tight fit in the switch pod and it helps if you spend some time minimizing the needed wires; for example there is already a switched hot and a ground. Also on of the switch terminal connections ends up pushed up against the aluminum handle bar so make sure all connections are well insulated with heat shrink.

did you use the heat shrink insulation for the left bar?
Yes

where did you take the power feed from?
Power to close the relay contacts I think I got from other stuff in the switch pod. Power for the grips is from the fuse box, I used the fuse already designated for the grips. The relay is the ice cube style from radio $hit. it need to be rated to handle the 3 amps the grips pull.

did you use grip puppies?
What are grip puppies?

do you have any pics of the install?
The only other pics are at the link OnD posted. I didn't take any photos with every thing a part. I always forget to do this on my projects, I'll a pic or two at the beginning then I get all caught up in details and for get to take any more until the end...

[ArnoldVoice]"Listen to me now and hear me later" your install will go much better if you just admit your a "flabby little girly man"[ArnoldVoice/]

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
It would be nice if it had a led for night time use.
spot on, I wish I 'd thought of that and Triumph should pay a 'good' idea fee!

I find the change in grip size a non-issue. My winter gloves are pretty thick and still fit around the grip with ease.
Same here, at first a little bit of getting used to, now, no problem and I have medium size hands:D

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
3banger, I didn't realize that was your heated grip install. Sure am glad I bragged on it. :D

Good job.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Peirre,

To reach Cal Sport Touring try:

[email protected]

If that doesn't work let me know and I will call them. I can't say how great they are enough. The guy that owns it is remodeling the shop to put in a rest area with sofas and TVs , showers, and other stuff for traveling motorcyclists. He is as we say, good people.

·
Registered
896 Posts
thanks for the info Gary, I`ve emailed them and await their reply

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK thanks everyone for your input. So the Triumph heated grips use the existing blank in the left handlebar control for the rocker switch, the grips are a bit thicker and some even prefer them, and since nobody mentioned weight, I'll assume it's negligible. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I think if you re-read the previous posts you will see that they are telling you that the switch goes in the left infill panel, not the handle bar switch, if you follow Triumph's instructions. In fact, the infill panel has the cut out location marked on the under side.

The installations on the handle bar switch were products of individual members' initiative and ingenuity.

·
Registered
542 Posts
elevens,
The blank plate you are talking about used to house the light switch. Now all bikes (in the UK anyway) have lights permanently on so no need for switch.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts