Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys/gals, here is my first forum posting. I have been lingering around for over 1 year soaking up lots of information but not offering anything. Since I am a new 2008 Sprint (Pacific Blue) owner, I didn't feel I had much to contribute. But now I have a question and i can't find an answer.

But first, let me say to Dave M that I have read the sticky for newbies and found it very helpful/informative. If I don't stick to the guidelines, it is purely unintentional. I will introduce myself in a different forum posting when I have more time as I believe I have an interesting story to tell.

So for the question:

I am from the US but have lived in Europe for 3 years (2.5 in Italy and now in The Netherlands). I am trying to import my 2008 Sprint that I bought 4 months ago in the US but have some issues with European requirements.

1. Tires - are the tires on Triumph universal in that they meet US and EU requirements?
2. I am being told that I need fog lights on the rear of the bike that are switchable for separate on/off from running lights. Can anyone offer some advice on this requirement and what my options are?

I appreciate any help on this as I now have an appointment early next year for the inspection.

·
Registered
3 Posts
1) Tyres won't be a problem, as long as they're road legal (so no slicks), which I'm pretty sure they are :).
2) You don't need a fog light on a bike in the Netherlands.

It might help if you can get a CVO ("Certificaat van Overeenstemming") from the manufacturer itself (or maybe Triumph Motorcycles Nederland can help you with this). This is a form with all specifications of the bike, so the Dutch authority can see the bike is built to European regulations.

You can find more info on the website of RDW here, the organisation that handles the registration of vehicles in the Netherlands.

Today I've registered a Sprint ST that I've bought in the UK. As this bike is from a European country, the procedures are more simple than when the bike is from the US, but it it only took half an hour to get the bike registered (I didn't even have to start the engine :) ).... and 3,5 hours of waiting :D.

I don't know if you can read Dutch, but you can find all technical requirements here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And this is why I truly appreciate this forum. Thanks, Striker.

Though I can't read or speak Dutch (tough language but I am trying; did better with the Italian), I will be able to get help from someone in my office with the information you provided.

If anybody else knows of any potential gotchas', I would appreciate your feedback as well. Meanwhile, I need to go take the slicks off my trumpet:cool:

Also, Striker, any hints on great rides in The Netherlands? since I am not legal yet, I haven't seen anything yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also, Striker, any hints on great rides in The Netherlands? since I am not legal yet, I haven't seen anything yet.
My favourite parts for rides are "Park Hoge Veluwe" and the hills in Limburg (Geuldal).

If you have a navigation device, this is a fantastic site for routes in the Netherlands (and some other European countries).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey G86,

First of all, welcome to the forum! Oh, and might I ad, you've lucked out! This forum really works like a forum should work and there are a lot of stupid smart folks here that will occasionally become wisenheimers and have you laughing at yourself! Check out what they pulled on me, 3 funny!: http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/97109-head-light-upgrades-mods.html

Also, whenever you get ready to blow her out, just head across the border! As you know, over here in Germany, things are a little bit more wide open, at select locations.

You also might want to consider contacting the good folks at FEMA (if you're into that sort of thing) and find out if there are any MC clubs in your area: http://www.fema.ridersrights.org/index.php

Sometimes it's cool to actually have access to other bikers to go on responsible group rides and to show you the ropes... they might even be able to assist you with the import or other questions about riding in Holland. I hooked up with the BvDM (http://www.bvdm.de/index.php?id=10) late last year, and while I haven't had the opportunity to meet up with anyone, it's nice to be part of something that represents responsible riders and not some of the types that I've seen out there having fun, and giving the rest of us a bad rep.

Either way, good luck, and have fun up in Holland! Oh, and if you like the color orange, then you'll make friends up there quicker than spit! :cool:

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to our Sprint forum gobbler86:)

As BTR01 we do like to have a giggle here.

Don and I ask all our new members to please take some time to read our forum stickies, it gives you an idea of how we run things here.

No you did not do anything wrong we ask all noobs to do this:D

Enjoy and have a great Xmas.

Dave & Don
DaveM & dolson

1 - 6 of 6 Posts