Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else bothered to install a Euro-spec headlight switch? I ordered one from a British dealer (found using the dealer function on the Triumph web site) for about 78 pounds plus shipping. It's a small thing, perhaps, but now the headlight can be turned on and off at will, and the blank slider recess on the right handle bar switch group has the correct switch and markings.

The switch was quickly installed as all connections within the headlight shell are present. We're talking four screws and a plug, here! Included in the complete assembly are the trim plate, switch, wiring loom, and plug. I would suggest buying a couple of the small black plastic wiring retainers that plug into the handle bar, as these are easily broken when pried out.

Yes, I know it's illegal to sell a new bike in the US with this switch. I'll pass the old assembly along to the next owner.

[ This message was edited by: tsmgguy on 2006-11-22 11:31 ]

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It's illegal to ride without it, but I can imagine times when it would be nice to turn the headlight off. Say, when you're synching the carbs, the bike is running and the headlight is slowly pulling down your battery. Still, it's a bit pricey.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Good info. I am installing two 55 watt driving lights and, should I run low on alternator watts, may need to turn off the one of the lights. Expensive but very clean way to do it.

Thanks

And.... yes it is safer to run lights and I choose to run mine even when we had switch.

Mike

·
Registered
116 Posts
On 2006-11-22 12:57, Panthermark wrote:
Isn't it illegal to ride without a headlight? Why do you want to turn it off?
Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just remove the fuse while working on the bike?

Sorry wrong quote

[ This message was edited by: byjingo on 2006-11-22 14:17 ]

·
Registered
116 Posts
On 2006-11-22 13:32, badrufus wrote:
It's illegal to ride without it, but I can imagine times when it would be nice to turn the headlight off. Say, when you're synching the carbs, the bike is running and the headlight is slowly pulling down your battery. Still, it's a bit pricey.
Wouldn't it be cheaper to simply remove the fuse when working on the bike?

(Right quote this time, oops)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It would be cheaper to remove the fuse, or even disconnect the headlight bulb, but the switch is sexy. Just pricey.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Does the switch look like it could be modified to hook up to a garage door opener? I have often thought of trying to install a door opener and I think that would be the cleanest possible configuration.

Robert

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
tsmg,

Would you please email me the name of the dealer in the UK who has those switches? I've got two and would not part with them. I want two more, even at $160 each.

Mike [email protected]

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered the switch assembly from Jack Lilley Triumph in London. The website is:

http://www.jacklilley.com

There is no on-line catalog, and the "accessories" listing for the Bonneville will not bring up a complete parts list. You'll have to email your request to:

[email protected]

They will give you a quote for what you need, plus shipping. I emailed my credit card information and found their service to be fast an accurate. Sorry I didn't make a note of the part number!

As for posting a photo, I'll do that later, but the right switch plate is almost identical to the left, with the sliding switch under the "Triumph" blank that is furnished on US bikes. The switch is almost identical to the turn signal switch, with small white universal on and off markings above the switch.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
I personally would never install a headlight switch on my bike. Most auto drivers who pull out or turn in front of a biker state they "never saw" the motorcycle. I can easily imagine some defense lawyer (and Harley rider?), when he finds out that your bike had a light switch, would try to put the full blame of the collision on you because you "had your lights turned off". So prove otherwise.

On the the other hand, I have been considering putting a comm control switch in that location for satellite radio and maybe some type of 2-way radio setup.

·
Registered
315 Posts
why not just install an inline switch? it would cost ~$2 and be a lot easier install :???:

[ This message was edited by: Fast_Fashion on 2006-11-25 23:25 ]

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On 2006-11-25 23:24, Fast_Fashion wrote:
why not just install an inline switch? it would cost ~$2 and be a lot easier install :???:
Because now the bike is complete, that is, it has all of the features that it was designed to have and with which it is sold all over the world.

Yesterday, I changed the oil, a process involving a couple of starts with the bike on the center stand to get the oil level in the sight glass correct. The bike can now be started and run at idle (lights off) without pulling down the battery.

As for installing an inline switch, what could be more elegant than the correct factory light switch? I can remember to turn it on.

Yes, the switch controls the instrument face lighting as well, which an inline switch would never do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts