Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm at the dealer trying to get the TORS remap for my new Jardine Carbon slipons. I know the re map takes about 10 minutes but for some reason they can't do it. The mechanic spent a good 10 minutes working with some guy on a part that looked like it came from my old lawn mower. He asks me why do I need this tune, the stock map should be able to handle the new cans. I told him the bike backfires on decel and I have a loss of throttle response. He tells me I really don't need the TORS map and I should put Stabilizer in my gas, because the 10% ethanol causes backfire and hesitation off idle. Does anyone put stabilizer in their gas on the daily? Just wondering.

BTW, I left that place and drove to the next closest dealer, got the map, and you guessed it, throttle response is back and no more backfire.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Stay away from that first dealer. They are full of sh!t.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Must agree with the big Legman. This guy was a Choad, and obviously either knows nothing about Triumphs or is a liar and a cheat.

Yeah, I'm in a bad mood because I just filled out a survey on the dealership that sold me my last car. The one that cheated me and I can't do anything about it. (Lied to me about some of the paperwork that I had to sign, so I ended up with a useless extended warranty)

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Why is it that there are so many frickin' morons working at dealerships. You'd thing people who work with a product professionally would at least know what the hell they're talking about.

·
Registered
336 Posts
On 2006-12-02 17:26, Legman wrote:
Stay away from that first dealer. They are full of sh!t.
+1 again. I run the Jardines with the TOR's tune and it is absolute bliss.

The only thing that needs stabilizer is the crazy mechanic that told you to dump it into your bike.

JOHN

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I kind of thought that recommendation wouldn't pass the RAT test. The funny thing is the mechanic, or should I say service manager, told me he puts stabilizer in every bike that comes in the shop. He was right about one thing, my S3 did stumble every once in a while off idle, and it did have some very soft popping on decel with factory tune and cans. After a short 40 degree ride I didn't notice any of the soft popping so we will see what happens with the new cans and tune.

I went there because I was trying to stay away from the second dealer, guess I'll have to stay away from both.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Absolutely no reason to use fuel stabilizer on a daily basis. Incompetence is wide spread, really knowledgeable people seldom work at dealerships.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The service manager was dead on serious. There is a loss of performance/mpg the more ethanol that is added to gas mainly because it has a higher octane and the engine needs to have higher compression for any substaincial gain. But since all vehicles have to be able to run on 100% gas, compression ratios stay low.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts