Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,
I have questions regarding the ET 5 wire stator in my ‘67 Bonneville TT. I was doing some resistance readings on the stator coils and made a couple of discoveries.
In the Triumph service manual the wiring diagram shows the brown wire being common to the ignition coils as seen below.
Rectangle Schematic Font Parallel Pattern

When I took my readings I received the following results:
Measurements made with a Fluke 87 DMM, shorted leads reading 0.1 ohms.
Blk/W to Blk/Y - 4.7 ohms
Blk/W to Brn - Open ckt
Blk/Y to Brn - Open ckt
Brn/Blu to Red - 0.6 ohms
Brn to Red - 0.6 ohms
Brn to Brn/Blu - 1.2 ohms
So the stator is obviously not wired per the manual diagram. I am aware that there are other 5 wire stators with the lighting coils separate from the ignition coils which is what I must have. Wiring diagram as below.
Rectangle Font Slope Material property Parallel

The part number of my stator is 47197B
Automotive tire Font Tool Bicycle part Gas

In looking at the Lucas parts books online I was only able to find a stator with part #47197A. So, I would like to know if anyone can help me to find what stator this is and what the wiring diagram is for it. Much appreciated as always.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Hi,
‘67 Bonneville TT
ET 5 wire stator
The part number of my stator is 47197B
In looking at the Lucas parts books online I was only able to find a stator with part #47197A.
"47197" is the stator part number; "A" was the first version, "B", etc. were supersessions. The "1169" is the manufacturing date (Week 11, 1969); the 1968 FMVSS effectively killed off ET on bikes made after 31st December 1967 because it mandated the rear lamp had to remain illuminated even with the engine stopped, your bike's stator was made as a spare.

Triumph service manual the wiring diagram
When I took my readings
So the stator is obviously not wired per the manual diagram.
other 5 wire stators
Not really, the British motorcycle makers didn't pay Lucas enough to make multiple different components to do the same job.

I've posted again separately later in the thread to answer your subsequent questions.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Stuart,
I am certainly a neophyte when it comes to the world of navigating through the part numbers and vendor parts associated with these British motorcycles. According to the literature I have, the Triumph parts catalog for the’67 Bonneville and TR6 range have part #47188 as the stator for the AC ignition models.

Font Material property Parallel Paper Document

The Lucas catalog also shows #47188A as the stator for TT models from ‘63 through ‘67 and #47197A for later ‘67 TT’s.

Font Parallel Pattern Number Rectangle

If this stator has a manufacturing date of 11/69 then it is obviously a replacement part in a ‘67 motorcycle. I would still like to see a wiring diagram/schematic for this model of stator.
I am enjoying the education and challenge of this Triumph project.

·
Super Moderator
11,429 Posts
Hi,
View attachment 799418
View attachment 799419
neophyte when it comes to the world of navigating through the part numbers and vendor parts
:)

You know already:-

. 47197 was the encapsulated 5-wire stator, 47188 was the earlier non-encapsulated one;

. there isn't any difference between 47197A and 47197B.

More knowledge, you'll know the Meriden parts book compilers were poor at keeping up with outside supplier part number changes (Small Heath was better, if still not completely reliable). Regrettably, while the parts books are online, very few of the update sheets that Meriden and the US importers both sent with new parts books and throughout a year are online; makes the parts books on their own unreliable for drawing conclusions.

The Lucas catalog also shows #47188A as the stator for TT models from ‘63 through ‘67 and #47197A for later ‘67 TT’s.
You're expecting too much accuracy from documents compiled by a number of people more than half-a-century ago, no-one anticipated then that absolute accuracy would be required now. My reading online suggests all '67 ET versions had 47197, possibly late '66 had it too.

If this stator has a manufacturing date of 11/69 then it is obviously a replacement part in a ‘67 motorcycle. I would still like to see a wiring diagram/schematic for this model of stator.
You have it already View attachment 799413 there isn't a later one.

Possibly making it clearer for you:-

. the Lucas Motor Cycle Electrical Equipment Service Manual, the wiring diagram on page 47 is the same as your View attachment 799413 ;

. however, that online copy isn't the latest version, I have a later version on paper; nevertheless, the ET wiring diagram is the same.

Btw, the hand-drawn diagram bottom left of View attachment 799413 is afaict an incorrect understanding of the earlier 47188 internal connections.

Hth.

Regards,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts