Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever used your bike as an escape mechanism? I had a bad day today, "Her indoors" was on my case, big time and so was my new boss. I sold my business a few months back and part of the deal was I am contracted to work for the guy that bought it, for 6 months. So I was in work today (Saturday)and copping flack from the missus and the new boss and I was being my usual tactful self, which translates as I didn`t tell either of them what I was thinking.

So, instead of committing a violent act (or two) I went home, stuck the boxes on the Sprint, got on it and f****d off. I left home at 2pm and by 6pm I was in a motel 500km`s away. I feel better already.

There is something about getting on the bike and getting away that makes everything OK. Do you get that feeling, too?

I`ll have to go back at some point, I suppose but for now, the phone stays off, I`m incommunicado and very happy. I`ll be away for probably 5 days or more, it will REALLY p*ss the boss and the missus off but it will help me to sort my head out. Motorcycles are the best form of therapy.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Rob, sorry to hear of your probs and yes there have been times when my bike has been essential therapy. I will say though that as a minimum you need to tell someone, even a third party, that you are OK and away for several days.

H

·
0 Posts
Ever wonder if psychiatrists knew about motorcycle therapy they would prescribe it?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Ever wonder if psychiatrists knew about motorcycle therapy they would prescribe it?
But would the shrink get in the sidecar

·
Registered
978 Posts
True words Hap. Best therapy I know of. And if you can get lost and find a whole new place to ride even better.
Remember the song by the Seekers 'I'd like to teach the world to sing'
Change sing to ride we would cure ALL the worlds ills, right up to when we run out of oil.........

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
355 Posts
You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office.

The shrinks get private parking around the back. :doublethumb

·
Registered
435 Posts
Are you freaking kidding me? Jealous as heck... except for right now we have some of the coolest people I've met hanging with us. Brewdude, Algetaway, Daytonacharlie, Maydaymike, Dog, DWR, Leftarmlogan, Unclenort, Slowpocono, Redpheonix, Rumrunner & a few others.

Add 3 teenage boys in that mix! 5 days ain't enough!

I hope I'm never that missus....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
As a mental health professional, I can't advocate motorcycles and avoidance as coping mechanisms, but they've always worked for me:D.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Rob, good for you. Many a day I wish I could just take off like that. One of these times I'm really going to do it too. Have a great time!

·
Banned
322 Posts
Just my honest opinion. Sometimes you just got to learn to, "let things go."

I'm not sure about using a motorcycle as an escape mechanism. Letting go of the emotions associated with a bad situation, is generally the easiest to do.

As I see it; riding several hundred miles and spending 5 nights in a motel, really didn't accomplish anything except; spending money and avoiding the problem. You'll still have to face the situation when you return. Maybe, with a great deal more up evil and additional consequences.

Guess you need to ask yourself; Are my actions going to cause greater problems? In this case, I would think so.

I don't want to be on a motorcycle when I'm angry, but that's just me. So is it the motorcycle or the anticipation and time away from the problem, that helped? Fight or flight should dictate your response. Calm, cognitive thought should. Someone else's emotional outburst, shouldn't demand such a response from you.

Sounds like more of an over reaction.........but that's just my own opinion for what it's worth.:)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't want to be on a motorcycle when I'm angry, but that's just me.

I'm never angry on a motorcycle. I get angry - I get on a bike - the anger goes away. Not angry, problem solved. :D

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
It's great to get on a bike and just go. It gets you centered again since you'd danmed well better concentrate or you'll be a grease spot on the road.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Beemer therapy

I and a few of my riding buddies call it "beemer therapy". I guess if I get a new Trohpy in the next year or two, I'll have to call it either Trophy therapy or maybe trumpet therapy. Whatever it gets dubbed; in the end, you still don't see many motorcycles parked at psychologists' offices. :motorbike

1 - 20 of 55 Posts