Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2012 Triumph Bonneville that has recently gone down hill quick. I first noticed it a couple days ago about half and hour into the ride my speedometer started to jump 5-10 mph @ around 50mph (jump back and forth a few times, not constantly). Fast forward to today, trouble starting the bike but after a few attempts I let it sit, wait 30sec. and try again, fires right up. This time the needle is bouncing around all over the place, repeatedly, riding around the neighborhood. Try the turn signals and the flicker rate seems to be increased by 5x its normal rate. So the question folks... what the hell is going on?

(I plan to take it to the dealership tomorrow, but I would definitely rather do the work myself)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Check the speedo cable nut behind the speedo hasn't come loose. This happened to mine a while back, the needle went crazy.

Indicators - Check the bulbs. If one's blown it will cause a fast flash rate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K, I'll check the cables in a few minutes and check for dry connections.

Took it out this morning for ~10min. and it seemed perfect. Turn signals reacted normal. Speedometer acted normal. Last night before I went to bed, I switched out the starter relay with the one that originally came with the bonnie. NOTE: The only reason I did this is because it is the only 'electrical' work I've done with the bike (besides exchanging a blown fuse)

Appreciate all the input. Any new ideas? Keep them coming!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have 2012 Triumph Bonneville that has recently gone down hill quick. QUOTE]

Most bonnies go down hill quick, the good ones go up hill quick as well!

·
Banned
322 Posts
Check the speedo cable nut behind the speedo hasn't come loose. This happened to mine a while back, the needle went crazy.

Indicators - Check the bulbs. If one's blown it will cause a fast flash rate.
Ah, 2012 have an electronic speedo and tach.:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took to dealership. They said there was nothing obvious, so they're going to test it wire-by-wire. :/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: Turns out the result of all my past electrical problems, speedometer needle, turn signals, etc. had to do with the grounding wire being loose (on both ends).

Once the mechanic fixed that, everything else was fixed too.

·
Premium Member
20,739 Posts
UPDATE: Turns out the result of all my past electrical problems, speedometer needle, turn signals, etc. had to do with the grounding wire being loose (on both ends).

Once the mechanic fixed that, everything else was fixed too.
Amazing. Can you confirm which wire that is?. Is it the main ground from the battery to the chasis/engine?.

Worth knowing for future reference, thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amazing. Can you confirm which wire that is?. Is it the main ground from the battery to the chasis/engine?.

Worth knowing for future reference, thanks for the feedback.
Forchetto,

I have virtually no knowledge when it comes to electrical work and/or wiring. That being said, the mechanic said the wiring was "loose at the battery end and the other end of it too" if that is the only one that connects to the battery then, yessir that is the one you're talking about.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Forchetto,

I have virtually no knowledge when it comes to electrical work and/or wiring. That being said, the mechanic said the wiring was "loose at the battery end and the other end of it too" if that is the only one that connects to the battery then, yessir that is the one you're talking about.
I'm kind of in the same boat (of ignorance) as you, regarding electrics.
But I do know that all kinds of weirdness can happen with modern bikes electrics when a battery is a bit low on charge or the main connections are not really secure/tight.
No problems with my Scrambler, but I've seen it with my KTM Super Duke and my BMW R12R.

:beerchug

1 - 11 of 11 Posts