Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all,

just to let you know that I've found the source of vibration on my Street Scrambler, and it's the crappy plastic skid plate. I guess it kind of deformed slightly with the engine heat, and it probably deforms every time the engine warms up enough. Nothing serious, but still annoying.

BTW: did you see the new Street Scramber 2019?!? I'm shocked. So, after just 1.5 years, Triumph fixed all the issues with the "prototype" they sold us with the 2017 model, and now they expect us to upgrade to the new one? This is not a smartphone, it's a motorbike. And the last thing you would expect from a Triumph Modern "Classic" (as they called them) is a complete upgrade after only 18 months. What should the new buyers expect now? A new model announced in another 18 months?
The truth is they had to fix all the issues with the previous model highlighted from buyers, which paid to basically test a prototype: dramatically insufficient front brakes, low HPs compared to bike weight, a toy-like front fork. Well, nice job. The bare minimum from Triumph would be to launch a trade-in program for the 2017 buyers, with VERY advantageous savings to buy the new one. This is utterly disappointing...

·
1,585 Posts
BTW: did you see the new Street Scramber 2019?!? I'm shocked. So, after just 1.5 years, Triumph fixed all the issues with the "prototype" they sold us with the 2017 model, and now they expect us to upgrade to the new one? This is not a smartphone, it's a motorbike. And the last thing you would expect from a Triumph Modern "Classic" (as they called them) is a complete upgrade after only 18 months. What should the new buyers expect now? A new model announced in another 18 months?
The truth is they had to fix all the issues with the previous model highlighted from buyers, which paid to basically test a prototype: dramatically insufficient front brakes, low HPs compared to bike weight, a toy-like front fork. Well, nice job. The bare minimum from Triumph would be to launch a trade-in program for the 2017 buyers, with VERY advantageous savings to buy the new one. This is utterly disappointing...
This is basically the case on any old generation versus new generation vehicle announcement. Typically the sting wears off after the initial shock of the new generation's announcement wears off and you begin to remember that you actually really like what you already have, especially in light of the financial hit you'd take on a trade in due to the rapid depreciation basically every new vehicle purchase suffers from.

Unless you have some true "1st generation" problems, just enjoy your current ride. Unfortunately for me, I actually am suffering from a serious 1st generation problem, namely the wiring harness issue, which has affected me no less than 4 times now. At this point, my bike is spending way too much time in the shop for repairs, to the point that I wish my local lemon laws applied.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is basically the case on any old generation versus new generation vehicle announcement. Typically the sting wears off after the initial shock of the new generation's announcement wears off and you begin to remember that you actually really like what you already have, especially in light of the financial hit you'd take on a trade in due to the rapid depreciation basically every new vehicle purchase suffers from.

Unless you have some true "1st generation" problems, just enjoy your current ride. Unfortunately for me, I actually am suffering from a serious 1st generation problem, namely the wiring harness issue, which has affected me no less than 4 times now. At this point, my bike is spending way too much time in the shop for repairs, to the point that I wish my local lemon laws applied.
I would agree if we were talking about a Tiger or a Speed Triple, where I perfectly understand the need of improving technology every year...but with a "Modern Classic"?? Come on, 18 months...seriously? Of course it stings. At least Ducati had the respect for waiting 4 years before announcing the new Scrambler model. I'm so, so disappointed with Triumph...

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi all,

just to let you know that I've found the source of vibration on my Street Scrambler, and it's the crappy plastic skid plate. I guess it kind of deformed slightly with the engine heat, and it probably deforms every time the engine warms up enough. Nothing serious, but still annoying.

Really...so a plastic skid plate is what is making the 900 motors buzz at that 4400rpm range? So what about the Street Twins that do not have that skid plate?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi all,

So what don't you like about your Street Scrambler? I'm not sure I agree with you about the skid plate causing the vibration. The vibration definitely comes from the engine. I also wouldn't call raising the rev limit (and gaining a few HP) a complete upgrade. The front brakes are more than adequate and the low HP is more than made up for by the low down torque.

The SS is what it is and does what it says on the tin. A great fun ride and all manufacturers of bikes and cars will always update and refresh their model range. It doesn't mean that everything that came before was rubbish.

Also "modern" classics are no different from the other models in the Triumph range in that despite the retro look they are state of the art machines so why shouldn't we benefit from technological improvements?

It reminds me of a friend of mine who wouldn't buy a computer because processor speeds were constantly improving and he always wanted the best so he just waited and waited . . . . . . . . He had to bite the bullet in the end and of course his computer was superseded within months!

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have the 2019 “update” model. Generally I love it. I came from the T120 and I can confirm the “270 degree” factor doesn’t effect the T120. Smooth as butter right through the rev range. Back to the scram I have the vibration also. Have 2000km on it and it is extremely annoying. I have the alloy bash plate so I don’t believe it’s the plastic jobby... mine buzzes like crazy from 4400 right through to redline..... I do really hope it goes away with KM because it’s the only thing that spoils an otherwise brilliant bike...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would like to suggest to please consider the proper torque of the handle bar riser bolts,you know the long bolts. I can see the rubber grommets being over tightened and you would pick up lots of road surface vibrations.Reason being over tightening would cause steel to steel contact and causing like resonance from again the road.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a '17 SS and dont seem to notice any excessive vibration? Maybe I've just never been on a "smooth" bike...I dont know. But I have been on some that rattle your teeth the whole time.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts