Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!
My 2017 SS has engine vibrations in the Range from 4400/4500 RPM. Anybody here who has the same issues? Is it "normal"? I do not think so.....
2. question: is there a new mapping available? Because I think there should be a better acceleration and a smoother driving in low speed possible with other settings.
Thx
Gerry

·
Registered
232 Posts
My Street Twin does get a bit rough at that speed and was very noticeable when I first started taking it to higher rpm. Now I have more miles on the clock I don't notice it and I'm not sure whether its got smoother or I have just got used to it. I don't have any problems at low speed except that the throttle is a bit over-sensitive below 20 mph.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Same here, my Street Scrambler has additional vibration right around that point in the RPM range as well. I have over 2000 miles on it now and it has been that way since 0. I even have a different tune on it now and it still feels like that so I can only assume it's supposed to feel that way. Just roll the throttle through there faster and you won't notice it! Haha

·
Registered
171 Posts
My SS does the same. I mostly note it in 5th gear at that RPM, just a bit loud and kinda "rough" feeling / sounding. I have about 3600 mi on it with maybe 500 mi of those at that speed / rpm range (ie, I-25) and it hasn't exploded on me yet...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same here with my SS. It started after I reached 10.000km. The noise kicks in at 4100 Rpm, peaks at 4200, and disappears at 4300, no matter the gear or speed. Sounds like a wind SFX from a horror B-movie (woooooo). Additionally, the noise comes out only after 15/20km, once the engine has warmed up... any ideas?

·
Registered
537 Posts
every single 900 is a bit vibey at that RPM when brand new. Honestly i don't see/notice it at all anymore now that my bike has nearly 3000 miles on it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's a bit alarming - my previous BMW R1200 air cooled engine, when new, had a very annoying vibration just around 120 km/h in 6th gear, but after about 5,000 km the vibration started disappearing. But a vibration that is not there initially but then appears when the engine breaks in is more concerning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm in the same boat and have vibrations in that rpm range. I'm at 2,900 plus miles as we speak. I'm hoping it gets better with a few more miles!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just an update: the vibration is still there after 4000km. No issues in performance or anything that could suggest a serious problem. I guess we just have to live with it. I?m getting closer to the 16k kilometres maintenance, so I will have it checked properly, but at this point it should be considered ?a feature? :D

·
Registered
362 Posts
Back in the old days this would probably have been caused by a problem with the head steady... but things have gotten so complicated recently

·
Registered
408 Posts
Happy to find this thread! Just got done doing my break in service on my 2017 SS and for the first time took it over 4000rpm on the way home and noticed the same thing. At 4400rpm. Also wondered if it was an issue so googled street scrambler and 4400 and BAM here I am.

I guess it’s normal then and look forward to running that out the motor. My ‘13 thruxton has almost 30k on it now and that motor was also once tight and vibey as well and is now smooth as butter and has been for many years.

·
Registered
446 Posts
GerryZ,....Suggest that you find a pre 2004 H-D Sportster to borrow, and get it on to an open road where you wind it up to 75 or 80 mph for 15 or 20 minutes. Then get back on your S.S., you probably won't notice that vibration any longer...

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have been trying to find the source of what is very likely to be the same vibration experienced by many here.
I have a Street Twin with vibration at what I perceive to be the exact same engine rpm no matter what gear I'm in. Perceived as no rev counter on the ST to confirm.
Could someone list the mph its felt at in each gear?
I've had this since around 500 miles. After the first time I fully opened her up with a pillion. Thought it was the grab handle/rear rack had been disturbed but I have ruled that out.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I always related what i felt as vibrations but try considering what you are feeling might very well be a buzzing . One sugestion i have heard is the handle bar clamp downs not working properly . A lot of end play or side to side movement on (throttle) add Vinal shims. Or a frozen chain link.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Yes it is felt by the rider as a buzz through the whole bike. Its at a definite engine speed. And generated by the engine.
I notice it on deceleration as much if not more than on acceleration. Something in the engine has a resonance.
Anyone experience of adjusting the engines balancer shafts to address this vibration? I feel their gear backlash can not be ruled out. Technician at my dealers said he did not know if they might be the problem or if there was one or two balancer shafts.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Due to lack of experience I can not say for sure. I have never ridden a Air cooled Scrambler (270 firing) and compare it with the Bonnveille A3. But owning a A3 and now the ST, the vibrations are just way to much. Don't have the RPM meter so can't say when it really starts but Damn it's irritating. I was complaining about the vibrations on A3 and now I can surely say the A3 Bonnveille is the smoothest of the Twin lot. I believe it's the 270 firing order or setup that creates these vibrations and nothing else. Love the rumble but the vibrations when it kicks in is just horrible to say the least. After an hr of riding my hands had the feeling of Tinitus. I don't think the vibrations on the LC ST can ever be cured. Got to live with it. It's the way it is.

·
1,585 Posts
My 17 ST doesn't vibrate excessively. In fact it is very smooth for a parallel twin, and that's coming from a rider who regularly rode notoriously smooth inline fours before the ST.

Every engine has a harmonic resonance. You can probably help the situation with bar end weights. The fact that the ST and SS have different bars seems to indicate that they may be the variable that matters.

·
Registered
362 Posts
+1
Swapped out the stock heavy mirrors on my 865 Bonny for lightweight alloy bar ends and was met with handlebar vibration from the first press of the start button.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I flipped my bars over and flopped them on my 14' Thruxton and noticed more vibration in my bars than when they were stock. Kept everything down to the bar-end mirrors the same.

I've come to the conclusion that it's just the bike. I'm sure doing a carb-balance and maybe putting the baffle back into the air-box may help... but as long as it's not hurting anything I'm OK with it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts