Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks unfortunately i need to replace the Motor in my 2002 Bonneville 790 as the lad doing some repair work (trying to sort out the broken idler bush) has discovered a lot of metal grit in the oil and sump (not related to the busted bush)and a bit of binding bottom end ,So i will be looking a Bare engine or a bottom end ....Anyway my query is Up to what year of Engine (T100 or other) can i straight fit into my frame using my Carbs Exhaust Wiring etc ....Deflated but not giving up ....
P.S Regardless of the flag in my Avatar I am uk (N.Ireland) Based

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Your simplest solution is to source an entire 360° crank carb model (Truxton/Bonneville - pre '08?) motor (not a 270° Scrambler/America/Speedmaster) - it will bolt straight in and work with the electrics currently on your bike. If you get just the bottom end you might as well install a 904 kit to make the transplant worthwhile

~'05 Thruxton~Sport Evolution 1100cc~FCR 39mm~813 cams~shim-under-bucket~+1.5mm valves~45mm headers~Ignitech CDI~m-Lock~m-Unit~Acewell CA85~F3 Frankenfork~Hagon Nitros~6-piston Pretech~520 chain~wide 17" rims~sticky rubber~

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks H3CTIC at least now know what direction to take as most of the motors i was looking at on evilbay are younger than 08 ..

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
If you get an 865 engine, make sure you take the cams out of your 790 engine as they're much better for power than the 865 cams. Also your 790 igniter will be more suited with the 790 cams installed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Fingers crossed i get something PieMan unfortunately i am not able to comment on whether the TTP safe start has helped sort the broken idler bush issue as its been recommended i dont start the bike ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts