Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I thought I had the random / intermittent engine cut outs solved. A scary problem to have in the first place...
Engine stops and dash lights go out, no power to start. Sometimes it would kick back on right away, other times a few seconds until I could use the starter or engine would fire if still coasting.

After tapping on the ICU and being able to recreate the problem in the driveway, I thought I had it nailed. Any time the problem surfaced (1-1.5 months), I would simply unplug and replug the ICU a few times and no more issues.

Now, the engine is cutting out but the only way I can get it going again is by using the starter. I don't think I am loosing anything but the engine now. I just was shaking and tapping the ICU in the driveway and the bike wouldn't cut off. I am thinking it could be an unrelated problem to the previous.

Similar to this thread and others but I wonder if it's my pickup coil.
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/218674-random-cut-outs-my-turn.html

any pointers appreciated. This topic is a difficult one to pick keywords to search for. If this is as common as it seems, I hope Triumph is doing something about it.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I'd try the simple things first: Have you checked your battery condition, battery connections and engine earth (ground) connections? What about the fuses? Are they securely seated? From there I would check whether all the electrical plug connectors are fully pushed home.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing I did was check the battery and ground, both good. While the bike was running, I unplugged and plugged everything I could reach to recreate the problem. Just the ICU would kill it. I'll check the fuses though, didn't do that...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hastly pressed all the fuses in before a quick ride yesterday. A few seemed not to be fully seated. We'll see if that changes anything.
Don't think its the side stand switch or springs. I can lower the stand half way before bike cuts off and there's no play in the switch. Springs keep that sucker seated pretty tight against the frame. I may disconnect for a while if problem continues to be sure.
The first problem when I was sure it was harness would happen over bumps esp with passenger. Now the problem occurs on flat road.

Continuing the ****hing...will report back.

Sent from my PG06100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Worse with a passenger check the harness under the seat. There could be wires touching each other that you can't see inside. Just look for a crushed area. My bike would die somtimes when I put the side stand down. The schematic shows it only goes to the ECU. I have it disconnected right now. Not a good idea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
she's been running pretty good since I checked the fuses. Maybe that was it.

Now as I'm leaving, it's going to cut out as I ride down the street....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

Bike still cuts out. My own investigation still points to the igniter. At first there was a loose connection between the harness and computer (and could cause the bike to cut off by lightly tapping igniter with a screwdriver) - easy fix.

Now, the intial problem still manifests constantly when 2 up. I am going to cut out the plastic above on the seat pan. Shimming would be difficult as there isn't much real estate. I may relocate when I cut the airbox out. Any others that have relocated?

My concern now is that stress on the module or connector has caused damaged to the igniter and must be replaced. No problems we riding solo, so I don't think this is the case.

This is a scary issue that I read others have had. but my local dealer had no info on any complaints or TSBs.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Bike still cuts out. My own investigation still points to the igniter. At first there was a loose connection between the harness and computer (and could cause the bike to cut off by lightly tapping igniter with a screwdriver) - easy fix.

Now, the intial problem still manifests constantly when 2 up. I am going to cut out the plastic above on the seat pan. Shimming would be difficult as there isn't much real estate. I may relocate when I cut the airbox out. Any others that have relocated?

My concern now is that stress on the module or connector has caused damaged to the igniter and must be replaced. No problems we riding solo, so I don't think this is the case.

This is a scary issue that I read others have had. but my local dealer had no info on any complaints or TSBs.
Remove your seat and examine the underside in the area matching the location of the igniter, my bet is that you will see marks on the seat pan matching the corners of the igniter where contact has been made. If so there is little doubt that the igniter is toast.

Look at Pinwall on eBay for a used replacement OEM igniter or get yourself a Procom igniter. You can pack up the existing rubber seat pads by pulling them out of the seat pan (they are barbed) and placing a washer or two under them before pushing them back into the mounting holes in the seat pan. Place a piece of duct tape on the seat pan where the original contact with the igniter was being made, put the seat back on and go for a short ride 2 up. Pull the seat and check the duct tape to see of there are any contact marks, if so you need to pack the rubbers more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts