Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was surprised that I could not find anything about these with a forum search....
Anyway, in a couple of weeks, I will pull the engine out of one of my basket cases. Since I know nothing about the history, I want to tear it down at least far enough to have piece of mind. Then the path depends on what I find.
On Ebay, there are a couple of styles of engine stands for the Triumph 650. One is sort of a simple cradle. The other mounts to a benchtop and can be turned around. Does anyone have experience with either of these? Is there a home-brew setup that works just as well?

Thanks --
-- Jim

·
Premium Member
9,565 Posts
every time that I see one, I feel the money burning a hole in my pocket.
here in the UK they seem to be twice the price of the US ones

But you don't really need one. It's easier to use the engine in the frame with the rear brake to start the disassembly and remove the lighter engine.

Hugie Hancox does his engine strips using a bench vice and a sort of T shaped bracket to support the engine.

A square frame made of 2x2 around a foot square can help an engine stand up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ed_h, that is very nice. If I could make that stand from scrap in an hour, I would. But I don't weld. It would certainly be possible to build a similar bolt-together version from tubing, brackets, bolts, etc available at Home Depot. But by the time I finished it, I would probably have saved $5 and consumed a whole weekend that I could have been working on the bike.

Dave M, I have seen the type of stand that Mr. Hancox uses, but I do not want to tie up my one and only bench vice for several weeks. Any pics of the 2x2 frame that you mention?

Thanks --
-- Jim

·
Premium Member
9,565 Posts
I don't have an electronic picture of the wooden thing as I made it years ago and reused the wood.

Not sure of the exact measurements but basically a pair of 2 x 2's 10 inches long and another 12" long banged together into a square. It made a base for the engine to sit on.

you only need the vice for a few bits and bobs. Hugie must have been stronger than he looks as an engine isn't light but he managed to get it in and out as if he did it every day ( which i assume he did!)

I don't have a big table lift, i have a small jack that lifts the bike by 2-3 feet. Then I've used the frame as the stand while I get the majority of the tough to remove bits off/out.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I got a C shaped one from ebay for 50 bucks that mounts to bench with 4 bolts. It was great since it took me a really long time to rebuild I could just throw a blanket over it when I was away. I bolted the mount to engine on the ground and then lifted the whole thing up and stuck it in the base for tear down and rebuild. Then reversed the process when finished.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I use a workmate as per Webby`s suggestion.
I was given mine by a mate, but it needed repairing and paint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts