Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Fellows,

My 1958 5TA is now ready, engine break down due to faulty oil pump, things are fixed. Over Size piston, Cylinder bored and used but good working Oil Pump.

My question is, how many hours of hours should be required before I hit the road, some body told me about retorque will someone explain more about it.

thanks

jAn

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi Jan, pleased to see it's now up and running again. I would suggest about 200 miles of Gentle riding, then re-torque the head nuts and change the oil.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Woolly,

Thanks for the advise, right now I am not riding at all, what i am doing is starts the bike and let engine running for 10 to 15 minutes, let it cool for 30 or 40 minutes then starts again. i do that for 3 or 4 time a day since yesterday.

Every now and then i check to make sure that oil pump is working properly and returning oil from engine to oil tank, can not afford anther breakdown as it happened last time.

I will keep posting.

Thanks

JaN

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi Jan, I would suggest that you would be better riding it, as opposed to just letting it sit there. 15 minutes is a long time for the engine to run without any cooling air flow, especially in a hot country. Take it out for a couple of hundred gentle miles, then re=torque the head.

·
Registered
478 Posts
There is nothing worse than letting the bike idle, there is no air going over the cylinders etc. Take the bike for a 20 mile ride, leave overnight and re-torque everything, but always crack off the bolts e.g. just loosen them a tad. After youv've done that, take it for 50 miles and repeat. Then 100 miles and repeat, and all should be fine then. Do an oil change after the first 20 miles, drain the sump too.

·
Registered
348 Posts
this is a subject with many choices?

rings will wear with first 5-10 mins of start up after this there no more seal of rings.

I startup and idle(maybe 1min first start) check everything over(oil leaks, timing etc) and let cool, retorque head bols and then run engine LIKE I STOLE IT!(hammer down in 2nd 3rd 4th for about 2-3 sec)don't pull in clutch but let it runn down. I HAVE DONE THIS OVER 50 ENGINE BUILDS AND THE ENGINE SEAL THE RINGS PERFECT!!!!

YOU BABY YOUR ENGINE AFTER RERINGIN IT YOU ARE DOING FAR MORE HARM TO THE RINGS!!!!! POOR OIL CONTROL ETC.

READ THIS ================> http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
970 Posts
The harsh 'running in' method might work with hrd bores ( nicasil etc) but not for soft bores such as triumphs. The reason for it is that fresh cut metal in those bores is soft, and it needs to be work hardened.

Do not idle the bike engine, worst thing you can do, this also applies to those who 'warm up their engines in cold climates. ride it as soon as it will run (about 30 seconds).

Might like to ride it 15/20 minutes. stop for an hour then ride back. repeat next day. Increase the run time by 15 minutes each day until you at two hours. after that run as long as you wish ( but suggest you take a break/comfort stop every two hours. Do not really hammer it for -long periods- until about 2-3 k miles. Short bursts ok and are in fact helpful. Let it overrun downhill and slowing down.

I do hope your crank will be ok, when I heard you were going to get it fixed in a lathe I worried as it is very difficult to get an exact fit this way. An offset grinder is much better.

Change the oil after about two hours then again at 10 hours. After that at about 3K or annually whichever comes sooner. Dont be confused by my switching from hours to miles. when running in 20 miles on a twisty hilly country road is better than 50 miles on a motorway and both take about the same time.

·
Registered
625 Posts
the 500s don't really like to seat their rings to begin with. After redoing the top end in mine last year (re-honed and reused the standard bore and pistons) I could actually feel the engine start making more compression after 500 to 600 miles. It was started to check timing, look for leaks, etc but only run for a minute or two. THen, I started and took for a test ride. The head loosens up pretty fast. I re-torqued it several times. Also ... MAKE SURE YOU RE-TORQUE YOUR CYLINDER BASE NUTS!!!! They definitely like to work back out after 50 or 100 or 150 miles.

I say ... treat it like a new engine ... since it is ... drive it and vary the engine speed for 700 to 1000 miles. i had no max RPM in mind while I was breaking in and I just tried to avoid sitting in traffic. (not easy in the DC metro area) Sitting and idling is not good ... if it's like mine, you'll think "jeez, this thing just doesn't have any compression" and then a few hundred miles in, you'll start feeling it 'wake up'.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys,

Thanks for stopping me to do stupidest mistake again, you guys are Life Savers (TRIUMPH LIFE SAVER ACTUALLY)

Anyway I ride last night, very gently for 5 minutes then i gave her a break for 20 minutes, done this three time. Bike runs great but the greatest things is when she was on break, people passing by was looking, five of them came back and ask so many question, How Old is the model, What is the engine capacity, how do you maintain it etc etc and appreciated me to keep her alive, this was so great. Lets see how many i meet today.

I am thinking to keep riding like this for one week, after that re-tourque as suggested and oil change, in the meantime i will keep posting. This Sunday I will work on 54 Tiger 100 Engine, wish we GOD's Speed.

Regards to All,

JaN

·
Registered
625 Posts
You can RIDE the bike ... this 5 minutes on 20 minutes off is overkill. Make sure you keep the engine speed varying (don't ride for 5 minutes at 3400 RPM) and try not to sit still with it running for too long. I rode mine several hundred miles in the first 2 weeks after the top end job ... would have taken months 5 minutes at a time ....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jan, you are doing better by riding instead of idling; very glad it is rolling again!

Also, DO NOT "lug" the engine, pushing hard from low RPM in upper gears. Downshift to build revs and let the engine "breathe".

NOW, post some photos!
Dear Grand,

Engine is BREATHING, i am doing exactly as you and other members suggested.

I will post new pictures on Sunday.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have found that what Jan says is very true. If you ride and old Triumph, get ready to draw a crowd.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have found that what Jan says is very true. If you ride and old Triumph, get ready to draw a crowd.
Yep ... can't tell ya how many times I've heard the story of the high school quarterback showing up on his brand new TR6 in the fall of '68 and 'wanted one ever since' ... or 'my dad used to work on Triumphs' ... or any number of other 'stock' stories you hear time and time again. Seems every time I stop at 711 for a quick cup of coffee, I'm there for a half hour or more. Sure feels good, though when it's a product of your own labor that they're ogling longingly ...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi to All,

i have completed about 50 miles and keep going, last night i stopped at gas station for a fill up and got a offer to sell off my bike, that guys was very interested since he seen my few days ago and was trying to locate me, i am becoming a sort of celebrity in my neighborhood :D

JaN

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Seems every time I stop at 711 for a quick cup of coffee, I'm there for a half hour or more. Sure feels good, though when it's a product of your own labor that they're ogling longingly ...
Me, too.

The only thing more satisfying than that, is when I roll up on a couple of full-dresser weekenders. They never believe that I commute everyday on my old bikes. :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Me, too.

The only thing more satisfying than that, is when I roll up on a couple of full-dresser weekenders. They never believe that I commute everyday on my old bikes. :D
Yep ... we have PLENTY of YuppieGlides around here ... The looks I get when I tickle the carb and jump on the kicker are pretty priceless. But then when their wives give me that "I'd do you on the floor of the disgusting gas station bathroom" look ...

However, the best look I ever got was after I had a low speed low-side ('slow-side' I called it) and busted my knuckles up, I was at a traffic light (rode it home!) and didn't realize that blood was DRIPPING off my hand and I noticed the woman in the Lexus beside me looking at me COMPLETELY horrified! I looked at my hand and shook the blood off and gave her a nice big smile just in time to bang it into gear as the light turned green ...

(By the way ... I'm really happy about my newly coined term 'YuppieGlide' ... :) )

·
Registered
802 Posts
I ride my '68 TR6 to school just about every day when it's warm (above 20 degrees), and get the approval of every old timer who "had a bike just like that". The feeling I get when I see the other kids that ride their brand new harley sportsters that thier parents bought for them who can barely pump their own gas, let alone restore a classic motorcycle with their own hands and hard earned cash, is priceless. Satisfaction and accomplishment is what I would describe it as. When I first started riding to school people started calling me The Fonze.:cool: The local kwik star gas station has a group of people that meet their on their crotch rockets and such, and i love it when I pull up to the pump and am surounded by people ogling over my ride. I always quietly tell the bike " you'd better start on the first kick and not make a fool out of me!" which it likes to do when their is a crowd. :D I wouldn't be happier with any other bike.

(man I need help!):rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts