Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys I recently did a sprag job myself and somehow in the rebuild i missed the blurb in haynes that states anytime the head is disturbed to reseal the piston liners... it was a stupid mistake on my part and before i ride it or take it back apart i would like to know honestly should i go back in and do it or wait and see if the seals dont hold? thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Oh boy...... just started a sprag replace job.......I thought the manual said the top end didn't have to be removed if you are only doing the sprag.......

Confused, do I need to open the top end ? :eek:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the haynes manual wasnt very descriptive about that.. I took the whole engine apart more or less and while ive heard that you dont have to take the top end apart and the clutch is a maybe taking it apart let me see everything else looked to be in great condition and gave me piece of mind, except now im worried about the seal on the liners as i wouldnt want to do all this work and then kill my engine...and the only thing stopping me right now is having to get a new head gasket..

·
Registered
167 Posts
There`s no need to disturb the crankshaft, pistons, cylinder head or even the cam chain to replace the sprag clutch.

All you do is to split the main casings with the engine turned upside down to gain access to the gearbox and sprag clutch. Apparently the hardest thing to do is to get the clutch basket released off the end of it`s shaft.

·
Registered
74 Posts
After the fact advice is great isn't it? It would be prudent to reseal the liners if the head was off. The Hylomar sealant isn't hard to find and any movement such as lifting the head will break the seal at the cases. It might reseal itself but why take the chance? It brings to mind a saying an old mechanic told me 35yrs. ago when I was starting out ,There is never enough time to do it right.But there is always time to do it over! It's time to get intimate with your engine again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts