Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my 2008 EFi Bonneville is stock, been thinking about adding new mufflers, now I stumbled across this kit. Do you think it would be a good choice if I wanted to upgrade the performance along with new mufflers?

"The STAGE 1 EFI kit (for 2008-2016 Twins with 865cc engine) includes:
  • K&N high-flow air filter (details here)
  • Air intake bellmouth "32%" (details here)
  • AIS removal kit (details here)
  • O2 removal kit (details here) "

·
Driftless Admin
11,417 Posts
I didn't look at the price, but I'd say no, not worth it. Not alone. Not enough difference to be noticeable. I did the bellmouth thing (with a cut up Polaris belmouth) with a Uni high-flow filter. Fun to tinker, but no big deal performance wise. Wife's EFI clicks along very nicely and it's unmolested.

Big bang for the buck is to make the motorcycle sound like a motorcycle by putting different pipes on. And depending on what you do there, if you open the airflow on the exhaust side it may be worth opening up the airbox too. Then you get some nearly-meaningful performance increases :)

Beyond that ... I'm a carbed guy. I'll let the EFI guys point you in the right direction. I do remember some good work done that showed that removing the air box on an EFI bike wasn't beneficial, but removing the restrictor was. And at this point, a cheap belmouth and a high-flow filter Uni would be great.

Now I'll look at the price ... FFS, over $100? Nope.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The Stage 1 kit, free-flowing mufflers and tune remap makes a huge difference in performance. I strongly recommend checking out Triumphtwinpower.com (TTP). I purchased the TTP Stage I.5 kit for my EFI Bonnie and it really transformed the bike. Fairly easy to install, just take your time and follow the instructions. If you have any questions, they`re great to work with.

·
Registered
91 Posts
the airbox baffle removal mod is very easy (provided you don't mind the destructive option).
remove the air filter, point a hair dryer into the box.
go and make a coffee.
on your return, get some pliers/vicegrips and jiggle the now very flexible warm plastic baffle out.
there's probably a you tube about it.
just to repeat this is a destructive removal.
the proper way will entail a lot more work.

·
Vendor
2,362 Posts
point a hair dryer into the box.
go and make a coffee.
I'd warn against taking your eye off the ball with the hairdryer, it's a quick way of removing the internal airbox baffle and can be done with no problems, but you don't want to come back from your coffee to a melted mess. 😭

·
Registered
153 Posts
There are a couple of options to execute the airbox baffle removal mod. Do a search on the topic here and on youtube to choose what sounds good for you. It`s really not a big deal. Now get wrenching on your bike.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also have the TTP tunes (for 2 different exhausts) and they work great. If you do not have the skills to undo a few screws in the airbox to remove the baffle as per the instructions and then seal it back together then you should not be working on your bike, in my opinion.
Do the baffle removal, AI, O2 sensors, get the Stage 1 kit from TTP, and choose the tune according to the exhaust you have. Day and night difference in performance, be it daily city riding or pushing it hard.
You get what you pay for...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok, did I get this right? I'm not really keen on connecting a laptop to my bike.

I get some universal mufflers with angled adapters and remove the baffle from the airbox. The cost of the parts will be under 100 euros. Then get remove the AI and o2, cost of the replacements about 50 euros. Then I could get a local bikeservice to adjust the tune accordingly, I doubt that this would cost more than 200 euros.

Does this sound sensible? I'm a student and a little low on funds. Is this better bang for buck option than those kits?

·
Registered
82 Posts
DIY will always be cheaper than a bike shop. There is no "adjusting the tune", you simply flash/download the new tune files to the ECU. If you do that yourself you will have (own) the files, so you will be able to do it again as many times you wish, plus be able to read and clear codes, adjust the TPS and balance the throttle bodies, which is something you need to do from time to time anyways.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts