Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used one of these?
You replace your sparkplug with an adapter, run your engine and clean air is pumped.
Might be good for pumping up tyres in a flat situation, I had one the other night. Came out from work and the rear was flat, rode slowly to a service station to pump it up.
At leat these could put in enough air to get to a servo'.

Also I wonder if the Air Injection port could be used to run it, then the engine would run better with 2 sparkplugs.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Has anyone used one of these?
You replace your sparkplug with an adapter, run your engine and clean air is pumped.
Might be good for pumping up tyres in a flat situation, I had one the other night. Came out from work and the rear was flat, rode slowly to a service station to pump it up.
At leat these could put in enough air to get to a servo'.
Also I wonder if the Air Injection port could be used to run it, then the engine would run better with 2 sparkplugs.
Whoa... I don't think it's a good idea to use this style adapter. It will pump air AND gasoline fuel mixture into your tire, possibly softening or dissolving your butyl rubber inner tube.

If you use the air injection plug and leave the spark plug in, you'll get full combustion pressure of well over 120 psi, which will likely blow your tire off the rim!

I just carry a small CO2 cartridge kit underseat for roadside tire repair. Touch wood...I haven't had to use it!! There is also a small electric inflator kit that runs off a powerlet (like your electric vest for about $40)

Here's a CO2 gas & patch kit for well under $20 USD delivered:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorcycle-ATV-...ryZ52509QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers,
BLIGHT:motorbike:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They don't pump the air fuel mixture. Only use the cycle of the engine to draw outside air into a valve and then into your tyre.

As for using the AI port, same thing, only the cylinder would be running.
As a 2 cylinder they don't run too well with one sparkplug lead removed.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Just make sure you ground out the lead and plug that you remove or you ll damage your coil.
;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
They don't pump the air fuel mixture. Only use the cycle of the engine to draw outside air into a valve and then into your tyre. As for using the AI port, same thing, only the cylinder would be running.
As a 2 cylinder they don't run too well with one sparkplug lead removed.
Hmmm... OK, in a 4 stroke engine, the first "cycle of the engine" is to draw air into the cylinder when the piston goes down...but it also draws in fuel as the air passes through the carburetor. The next cycle compresses that air-fuel mixture as the piston goes up...so that compressed air & fuel is what ends up in your tire using a spark plug hole adapter.

Such an adapter just forgoes the combustion cycle and exhaust cycle by pumping raw fuel and air into your tyre. The 'valve' you mention is likely a check-valve to keep the tire's air from leaking back into the cylinder between strokes.

The only safe way to use a simple spark plug adapter inflator is to first turn your fuel valve OFF and run the engine until it dies. Then, remove both spark plugs, and screw the adapter into one of them. Then, crank the engine a few strokes with the starter. The tire will inflate quickly. Then, reverse the procedure, turn on the fuel and you are good to go. I would not run the engine on fuel while trying to use the plug-adapter-inflator-hose. It's just my advice, so do what you wish!

Thanks,
BLIGHT

·
30,533 Posts
Blight - I think that CO2 kit you showed is for tubeless tyres, I don't think it works on tube types. Of course - if it's just the inflation bit we're talking about instead of puncture repair then of course it will work.

I think messing around with the spark plug is a lot of hassle anyway just to inflate a tire, never mind the risk to the coil. Footpump a la Sweat or little compressor a la me are the way to go I reckon. Both very cheap and easy to carry.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Doesn't the AI port open into the exhaust tract? There's no way you'll get much pressure from there unless you block off the tailpipes, which would be a Bad Idea.

A CO2 kit will work with tube tires. The plugs in that kit won't, so unless the tire just goes flat on its own, you're screwed. If you're worried about blowing a tube, you need to be carrying a spare anyway, because they don't always break in ways that can be fixed with patches. CO2 is generally a bad fix, by the way, because it leaks out extremely quickly, so you have to deflate and refill the tire soon thereafter.

You can get the job done with a mountain bike hand pump if need be, and some of those take up no space whatsoever. It'll just take a while, but probably less time than getting stuck. A foot pump or mini compressor will (of course) be much faster, if a bit bulkier.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I seem to remember

a pump called the "Engineair". If memory serves me, it didin't actually pull the air from the combustion chamber, but rather used the impulse of the compression stroke to power a secondary "slave" piston which provided the fresh air for the tire.
A friend had one in the trunk of his car and explained it worked kind of like a two-stroke engine where the piston would open and close off "ports" as it pumped fresh air into your tires.
I think it weighed about a pound or so and it pumped up an almost flat VW tire in about 5 minutes.
What I remember most was my 40 hp Baja Beetle shaking like a poodle pooping peach pits whilst running on three cylinders.
Can't imagine how it would affect a twin cylinder.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Call me a "ludite" but I ll use the $10 foot pump.
:p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Clydeturbeaux,
That the one, the poor running with a spark plug removed was what made me think it could connect to the Air Injection port and so leave the engine running properly.
No fuel mixture is transfered to the tyre and its small and light to carry.

·
Registered
733 Posts
aloomba.allisons,
Thank you for confirming my memory. Many guys my age were experimenting with drugs then, but I had a research grant and some of those days remain a bit foggy.
I don't know where a person would find such a thing or if they're even available any longer, but I do remember it working pretty well.
For a moment there, I thought I had gone insane again...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Eating Crow

Clydeturbeaux,
That the one, the poor running with a spark plug removed was what made me think it could connect to the Air Injection port and so leave the engine running properly. No fuel mixture is transfered to the tyre and its small and light to carry.
Hey Aloomba, I am now apologizing for my previous reply(s). I did a little research and apparently there was a device called a "CHUFFER" produced years ago that was indeed an external device with a little floating piston that was isolated from the air-fuel mix from your engine. I had never heard of such a thing.

It screwed into the spark plug hole, and worked off of the engine's compression (air+fuel mix) pressure to move another external spring-loaded floating piston that pumped clean air only into your tire with a check valve to prevent back flow. Just as you said!

I was familiar only with the older style hose that screwed directly into your spark plug hole. (It was actually a Ford Model T optional accessory!) That unit DID pump air and gas into your tire.

OK...sorry for my mistake. Now... where is this product available currently? JC Whitney sold them for about $11 bucks in the 80's but not anymore.

I can't find them anywhere else on the internet. Any links please? I would buy one for 11 or even 12 bucks if they are still available!

Thanks,
BLIGHT:motorbike:

·
Registered
733 Posts
A brief moment of lucidity yielded this...

https://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16780&cat=535&page=1
Blight, you piqued my curiosity and I did a little searching and found something quite similar to what I remembered. Although the term "chuffer" produced some interesting connotations, I pressed on until I found the above link.
On a note aside, having been married for several years, I do possess an inordinate number of recipes for crow.Unfortunately, none of them make it any more palatable...:)
Thanks to all for reviving some memories of forgotten technology.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts