Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I need some help from you. Unfortunately, I wasforced to do some engine repair (about 40000 km if I can believe clocks). I needed to change the engine head gasket. Everything went well (except for the broken cylinder head bolt because the bolts are very attacked by rust). But when I removed my head, it turned out that there was half an inch of rusty sediment around the cylinder liners. Although I was very careful to remove much of the sediment, some of it felt down into the crankcase when I removed the cylinder liners. I'm afraid the rusty pieces could clog the oil passages on the piston rods an I don't believe I am able to clean it inside of engine.
Now the engine is removed from bike an I am being prepared for the crankcase separation and crankshaft removal along with disassembly and cleaning of bearin shells.
I believe they're okay, I don't feel any free play when I pull or push the rods. Also, there are no traces of copper in the oil filter or gauze strainer. But I will check bearings and oil clearance with plastigage despite that.
I was checking worldoftriumph.com for availability of bearing shells, just for case. But I don't uderstand what difference is between BEARING CON ROD. WHITE (1110051-T0301) and BEARING. CON ROD SHELL (WHITE) (T1110054),for example, both number 10 in blueprint. Can you explain me, please?

And I will also be glad for any comments on what and how to do or not or any tips or sources of information.

Martin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
OK, I have sorted some things during last three month. With help of service manual, Haynes and youtube I did complete overhaul of my engine. I have never done anything like this before. Sometimes it was tough, but it was not impossible at all.

And first (ok, second :cool: ) start...

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I'm waiting impatiently for a sunny and at least a little warm day to test it on the road. I hope everything will be fine for the next many and many kilometers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
100 miles running-in already and so far everything looks good. Even the legendary resonance between 2500 and 3000 rpm disappeared. 🙂🤞🤞

1 - 8 of 8 Posts