Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas.

I picked up an 07 speedy about a month ago. It was running a little rich when i got it, but i didnt see that as too big of a deal. Over the last few rides, I noticed the smell of fumes start to get super burnt - like it was definitely burning oil. Today, I started it up and it was just blowing smoke out of the exhaust pipe. Took it to the shop, and low and behold.. there wasnt much oil left.

The shop put about 2L of oil in it to top it off. After that, I went to ride it home and the bike was completely ****ed. It felt like i was riding a 250cc bike. It had no pull, it would pop at idle and was just gargling. It was as if the bike lost all its power. Took it right back to the shop and there was oil spitting into the exhaust pipe that i found when I stuck my finger in the pipe and it came out with wet black oil. It seems to be right in the base of the pipe as well. Obviously, coming from somewhere, but I have no clue.

As of now, its at the shop and theyre going to do a compression/leak down test to see whats up.

Does anyone have any insight into what could be going on here, or has anyone experienced anything similar? One mechanic said the engine could be *ed.... Im having a hard time believing that because it was running completely fine until the oil got topped off. I know, its not logical that topping off the oil could * it all up. But the facts are that I went in, it was running fine, the oil got filled, and its ****ed.

Any insight is appreciated - im praying I didnt piss my money down the drain buying a faulty bike. I spoke to the previous owner who was a mechanic himself and he was completely shocked to hear this. Anyways. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
455 Posts
That's a shame. Oil in the exhaust is typically one of three things: head gasket, piston rings or valve stem seals. All are bad news I'm afraid, although the head gasket is probably the cheapest of the three to rectify.

The leak down test should give you a good idea what the problem is

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a shame. Oil in the exhaust is typically one of three things: head gasket, piston rings or valve stem seals. All are bad news I'm afraid, although the head gasket is probably the cheapest of the three to rectify.

****, brutal. once they do the leakdown test ill see what the verdict is. its at a super expensive shop right now as it was the closest one to me, but i have another bike mechanic that i will probably take it to for the work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

are these issues that can happen suddenly, or would this have been going on for a while without serious symptoms? Im just trying to figure out if the previous owner could have known but sold me the bike anyways. it ran fine for the 3 weeks i had it

·
Registered
455 Posts
Valve stem seals can fail suddenly but it tends to correlate with age. It's pretty uncommon for them to fail.

Head gaskets tend to go after the engine has overheated, I'm not sure about piston rings.

I can't think of a way the previous owner may have masked the problem to sell you the bike, I think this is just bad luck :'(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Valve stem seals can fail suddenly but it tends to correlate with age. It's pretty uncommon for them to fail.

Head gaskets tend to go after the engine has overheated, I'm not sure about piston rings.

I can't think of a way the previous owner may have masked the problem to sell you the bike, I think this is just bad luck :'(
Damn, just brutal. So disappointed, really not keen on fixing it, but I pretty much have to. I was looking forward to many years of riding it as there is only 21000 km’s on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, I honestly hope it's something cheap and simple :)
Thats alright, thanks brother. Honestly its better to expect the worst then to have it come as a complete shock. I also hope its not too serious. I may explore the possibility of buying a salvaged bike with a unharmed engine, may be cheaper to do a swap then a rebuild. I dont know. Pure speculation at this point. Should have answers by tuesday.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello.

I had similar problem with my 2007 Speed Triple. IIt was burning oild and the oil even came from exhaust headers. I had head gasket replaced, valve seals replaced and oil leak remained. Then i took it to another Triumph mechanic and he solved it in 1 day. He said that he replaced some rubber washers that are on bolts that hold the valve cover or SAI down (i cant remember). Since they were old and didnt do their job the oil fumes from valve place was injected into pistons. It was a cheap repair.

Best regards and hope i helps.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't think you were cheated in the deal. Just bad luck/poor timing I guess...
Always a good idea to have a quick compression test done on a used motor prior to purchase if possible.
Hope its not too major/costly of a repair.but it doesn't sound good.🤞

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello.

I had similar problem with my 2007 Speed Triple. IIt was burning oild and the oil even came from exhaust headers. I had head gasket replaced, valve seals replaced and oil leak remained. Then i took it to another Triumph mechanic and he solved it in 1 day. He said that he replaced some rubber washers that are on bolts that hold the valve cover or SAI down (i cant remember). Since they were old and didnt do their job the oil fumes from valve place was injected into pistons. It was a cheap repair.

Interesting. I had the leak down test done and two cylinders are operating around 50 psi, while the 3rd is around 180-200. Not sure itll be a simple fix like that. Im debating whether its even worth it to have the engine torn apart to see what the cause of it is.

·
Registered
455 Posts
That sucks :( I think the leakdown test rules out the valve stem seals as the valves should be closed during the test, so it's either going to be piston rings or the head gasket. Occam's razor says head gasket as two sets of piston rings failing around the same time is unlikely.

The head gasket can be done with the engine still in the frame, DieselGeek has a thread about it in the stickies. Look on the bright side, if your head needs a skim then you'll have slightly higher compression and more power output as a result :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting. I had the leak down test done and two cylinders are operating around 50 psi, while the 3rd is around 180-200. Not sure itll be a simple fix like that. Im debating whether its even worth it to have the engine torn apart to see what the cause of it is.
Hi,
Did you get to the bottom of this problem? I have a slight oil leak between the cylinder head (#2 cylinder) and exhaust header on my 2004 Daytona 955i - and it burns a little oil for a minute or so on start up.
I have removed the cylinder head but the head gasket looks okay?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello.

That's good to know.
My 2004 Daytona 955i was burning a little oil and had a small oil leak between #2 exhaust port on the cylinder head and the header pipe. I'm in the middle of changing the head gasket and also the valve cover / SAI so I hope it fixes my bike too :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts