Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if these twin engines make a little more mechanical noise than most? I hear a lot of ticking and moving that I am not used to hearing. Is this normal? I am new to Triumph motors.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'd say that these motors have their own unique symphany of sounds. There's a lot of stuff in there that the other bikes I've owned never had as well.

H

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Yep!! that's normal.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
What previous bikes have you owned? If you're used to water cooled Japanese 4 cylinder machines, the Bonneville will sound a bit clattery at the top end.

·
Registered
590 Posts
+1 I've only had water cooled motors before and noticed more mechanical noise from the triumph motor, I just put it down to noise insulating properties of a water jacket, if it was too quiet it would sound, well, Japanese !

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I had an LTD550 and a couple enduros. The LTD wasn't water cooled, but much quieter. I am glad to hear this is normal for these bikes. Thanks again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do they tend to have a more rattly sound when hot? Everything feels like it is running strong, but this is my first "nice" bike so I am just a little concerned. Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you're running the stock exhaust, which tends to be more quiet that most other bikes I've owned, for me it was the first time I could actually hear the sounds of the motor over the pipes. When on the highway and you give it more gas you'll hear an especially alarming louder clickity-clack. Kinda like getting used to the metallic rattle of Ducati's dry clutch. You'll learn to love it. Hasn't blown up yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts