Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
(2000 Sprint R/S):)
I was riding home when the gas light came on,50 feet farther light went off.2 miles later sputtered then stalled, :eek: restarted 200 feet stopped.Ran out of gas ,went to farm house got some gas,started right up ,2 miles to gas station filled up then 2 miles home.My engine light is now on ? :(

Steve

·
Registered
138 Posts
Provided that there are no on going faults on your bike, the ECU light will extinguish after 3 heat cycles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next Sat is the earliest I can get it in, just wanted to know If it would go out/ so i can ride.
I did disconnect the battery for an hour ,light still on .I will see if it goes out after 3 times of letting it get up to heat(run for 5 - 10 min.)
But still will take it in.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I would definitely investigate further, but it sounds to me like the most likely explanation is that your fuel level sender has packed it in. That will definitely throw a code to the MIL, and will probably continue to do so until it's been fixed. (I.e. 3 heat cycles is not likely to turn off the light.)

From what you've said, though, it sounds like the worst thing that's likely to happen from this is not knowing when you're about to run out of gas.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
192 Posts
Had a similar issue last week when I adjusted my valves. I forgot to plug in the low fuel sensor and it threw all kinda of lights. Plugged it back in but the MIL was still on but the bike ran fine. I rode it for a bit, filled it up with gas, and they light went off. I think it may have been a vacuum issue that sorted itself out. Fill it up and see what happens.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I don't really rely on the low fuel light anymore, although mine works fine. It just comes on too early. After tracking fuel consumption for 67 tanks now, I have it down to a science and can anticipate my pessimestic low fuel warning light within + or - 5 miles. Around town, fill up at 175 miles (usually takes about 4 gallons). Long freeway drones, at 80 or so, fill up at 200 (around the same 4 gallons give or take a couple of tenths.

Got my best tank ever today while turning over 13K miles. Woodstock, VA to Hamburg, PA running up I81.
50.809 miles per US gallon! No radar detector and couldn't use it in VA anyway pretty much kept me under 75 mph for the entire 197.9 mile run. Did ride like a nutter through W. VA as there are almost never any LEO's on that little stretch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts