Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a fright yesterday morning as I rode off to meet up with some friends for a days riding, the engine management light was on. I was worrying about doing damage to the engine when I remembered what I had been doing the night before.
I had been checking for a volt drop on the earth of my heated boot connection and to save the lights flattening the battery I thought I would pull out the fuse. I removed the engine management fuse by mistake with the ignition on. I assume this was the reason that the light stayed on the next day.
Lucky for me I arrived at the meet 30 Min's early and lucky for me I remembered the procedure I read on this forum to run the engine for three fan cycles and not touching the throttle. It worked!
So, thank you for ever who sent in this piece of valuable information, you saved me a packet at the local stealer.

Had a shock when I asked for a quote for a 12,000 mile service, I shall be doing that myself too and upgrading the front fork springs with some of the money saved.

Bob

·
Registered
186 Posts
12 k service will be around £ 450 of those fine British pounds.

Did mine myself for around £120 for all the bits. New plugs, filters oil and fork oil. Thge only difficult bit is the vakve shimming.

Do a search for valve shimming to get the low down

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have just done my 12,000 mile service myself. Its a fair bit of bike parts you have to remove to actually get to check the valve shims, but if you take your time its not that difficult.

From what dealers have told me, its rare that you need to actually change any shims at 12k.

Indeed I found 4 of mine were actually 0.01mm wider than spec, but as the clearances usually reduce with miles, I decided it was not worth leaving the bike in bits for a week while I sorted out what was required. I just boxed it all back up.

Chris

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I carried out the 12000 mile service over this last week. I was pleased to find that checking the valve clearances was really easy to do ( once all the other bits removed for access) and that they were all within tolerance.
So big saving on stealer labour buys fuel for next year!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts