Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi. I'm new to the forum and have a few Sprint ST questions. I've been riding for years and want to get back into a sport touring saddle. The ST is my first choice. I've found a 2001 Red ST in super clean shape, but it's got 90 000KM on it (about 54 000 miles)! How much life does it have left before it needs a total rebuild?

The seller had a "leak down" test done on it and it's down 8%. The shop says that's fine, what do you think?

Any issues w/ an 01 ST I need to know before buying?

THANKS!

Paul

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Welcome mat out

Hi and welcome to the forum here gazkid:)

Don and I ask all noobs to please take a few minutes to read our forum stickies about how things work here.:)

Regarding your question I will leave the leak down results to those more qualified to answer than myself, but I can comment that we have had several owners put 100,000 miles on their 955s.

They are a very robust engine but do require correct and proper scheduled maintenance, do you have a full service history with this bike available?

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, I am a newbie too, I just bought a 2000 955 sprint st and have just as a matter of course done a service myself. Oil filter plugs coolant brake fluid etc. Mine has done 59000 miles with a full documented service history and stamped in book with the last major service at 55000 miles with a record of all the work done. I see no reason why a bike cant go on for ages if it is well maintained. i went into my local main dealer and they frightened me. I went into another dealer (not triumph) and he said he services all types of bikes with mileages in excess of 75000 miles and still gong strong... I think you should judge the bike yourself and if it has full documented history....and of course it should be well cheap.

Hope this helps. By the way if you do buy it, change the oil, oil and air filter, brake fluid and coolant as a minimum. Although mine had a full service at 55000 miles it was 3 years ago with not many miles done in the 3 years since but the coolant, brake fluid and oil needed a change.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i've got a red '01 too...had 0 trouble with it...great bike...i looked at the new ones, but i still think the prior style is better looking...the rest of the guys will tell you...the red ones are fastest!

·
Registered
37 Posts
"the rest of the guys will tell you...the red ones are fastest! "

Actually hate to burst your bubble but the black slips through the air much quicker than red due to the hyperbolic particles of slipstream bull that is applied to the final finish of the black paintwork...... Thats why the Black Honda "Blackbird" is named the stealth....

Red is sticky like jam so is much slower.

:bighand: :motorbike:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts