Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
put 3k miles on the S3 this summer no problem. Its in my garage for the winter and i started it up tonight and it sounds like it knocks? Didnt do it when it first started but when it got up to temp it does. I know their a noisy engine but i dont remember it being that loud. Any ideas? Good clean oil, didnt do anything wrong just started it, let it get to temp and did a few 4k revs. Any ideas?

·
Registered
361 Posts
i would put in some fresh premium gas and/or some seafoam and see if it continues.

might just be your mind playin tricks on you tho

·
Registered
191 Posts
If the bike has been sitting for more than a few weeks, remember that there was NO oil in the top half of the engine. It should have stopped after a few minutes. If the bike was REALLY cold (IE unheated garage with 30F outside temps) it will take a bit longer.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
What do you Georgian's know of 30F temps? :skeptical:

Ya know, those little start em up sessions ain't really the best thing, unless you're actually going for a ride to REALLY get it up to temp. As MotoZiggy pointed out, the oil has all drained back, and if it's cold, the oil is thick ( Dexron even starts flowing like taffy around 0 F ) and the clearances are larger. Basically, resist the urge to start er up unless your gonna ride.

BTW, part of the charm of these pups is the mechanical clatter and whatnot. Next gen electrics won't have this feature, so enjoy!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Yeah, thanks...my Godson from ATL gives me the weather/dirtbike ride report constantly! And when he doesn't, my friend from S.C. rubs it in with a street ride report.

I hate U all!!

Just remember, the cold preserves us, so we live longer!

·
Registered
300 Posts
The cold perserves us... I think your on to soemthing.

It perserves us the same way downing a couple gallons of embalming fluid would perserve you.

Its painful, a general nuisance and it'll leave a sour taste in your mouth.

If there's any upside to living in the cold, its only because it'll keep you from smelling too bothersome when they finally find your body.

·
Registered
25 Posts
put 3k miles on the S3 this summer no problem. Its in my garage for the winter and i started it up tonight and it sounds like it knocks? Didnt do it when it first started but when it got up to temp it does. I know their a noisy engine but i dont remember it being that loud. Any ideas? Good clean oil, didnt do anything wrong just started it, let it get to temp and did a few 4k revs. Any ideas?
ive got 2k on this S3, and nothing like that so far...but my wife has 5k on her streety and hers started a knocking/almost flappy noise. took it in and turns out that "something was wrong with the valve guides, and the noise that we could hear was the valves sticking and chattering around in there". you might want to investigate a little more before you write it off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts