Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's time for a coolant change. I picked up Engine Ice today based on a search and recommendations of OnD et al. The Sprint requires 2.3 liters and the 1/2 gallon of Engine Ice is 1.89 liters and is is $22.00. Do I buy another jug of Engine Ice for the extra 410cc so I can safely ride at -26 F or buy a jug of DI water and only be able to ride at -15 F?

·
Premium Member
2017 Rocket III Roadster
2,022 Posts
I lived in Maine for 6 years, and I never saw it get below -12 F! I think the -15 F stuff should work for New Jersey! :p

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Why don't you just drain it and blow it out with air for the winter? It's not like you are going to be riding when it's that cold, are you?

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Well, while chances are it won't get that cold, I can think of a couple times it has in Ohio. It was -20 on Christmas Eve a few years ago and I remember a horrid -28 the first winter I was in my house. Just one thought, if it does get that cold, you aren't going to be wanting to run out to your bike! So while chances are slim...it's not something you are going to want to deal with as an emergency if it happens. We do seem to hit a -15 nearly every winter.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Bottom line, you are probably not going to drain every last bit of the 2.3 Liters of old coolant anyway. Most likely, after draining it, a 1.89 Liter jug of Engine Ice will fill it to at least the low mark. Anything above the low mark usually gets puked out after warm up.

So actual protection is most likely somewhere between -26 and -15F. A hydrometer could be used to test for the specifics (no pun intended). :D

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
mglemans86

Just asking for my information. Why use Engine Ice in the first place? I would think any good brand of anti-freeze/coolant would be fine. It's not like it gets overly hot or cold in NJ.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mglemans86

Just asking for my information. Why use Engine Ice in the first place? I would think any good brand of anti-freeze/coolant would be fine. It's not like it gets overly hot or cold in NJ.
It's suposed to reduce operating temps and is non toxic

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is from the Engine Ice website. Does anyone go through all this???

How often do I need to change it and are there any special requirements?

Most every coolant product will work best when changed somewhat regularly…at minimum, we’d recommend once a year.

For racing applications, we actually recommend twice per year. The cleaner you can keep your cooling system and the fresher you can keep a fluid, the better it will perform. There are no special requirements for using Engine Ice. For any coolant and anytime you are changing coolant, we recommend a simple solution of distilled water and white distilled vinegar, both available at your local grocery store.

1. Mix the water/vinegar at 50/50
2. Fill system with the solution
3. Run engine until warm
4. Let cool
5. Drain
6. Run clear water through to rinse out vinegar.
7. Fill with coolant of choice.

This is the same as cleaning your coffee maker. The vinegar is acidic enough to clean out and contaminants and residual coolants, yet it won’t harm your seals and gaskets.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I drain the complete system (inc. pulling the plug at the lower left of the block). Refill with distilled water. Run the bike 'til hot and let it cool to the touch. Drain the water and MEASURE the amount I get out. Re-fill with coolant of your choice (I use Mazda FL-22 coolant). The reason for measuring the drained fluid is to know what came out has to go back in. A lot of folks go around wondering if the damn thing is full or if it has to be burped. If you replace the measured amount, you know you're good to go right off the bat.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I used a radiator flush product last time, and followed the instructions in the Haynes manual. IIRC, it was something like this:

-Drain old coolant.

-Fill with flush solution, run engine 10 minutes.

-Drain flush solution, rinse, fill with tap water, run engine 10 minutes.

-Drain water, rinse, fill with more tap water, run engine 10 minutes.

-Drain water, rinse, fill with coolant, run engine 10 minutes.

-Check levels, add more coolant as necessary.

Took for-bloody-ever, but at least I'm pretty sure my cooling system is clean. The flushing solution was only $2.50, so not much more than vinegar and water, and it could have done two bikes if I had had another one to flush. I'm just running regular Prestone 1:1 with distilled water. Same as the stuff I put in two years ago, which was still in pretty good shape when it came out. (I probably will start doing it yearly, though.)

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just did the first flush and allot of green (ethylene glycol) still came out. Will do it again tomorrow with vinegar solution and then again with water. Then I’ll add the new stuff. Like you said KITNYC a twenty minute job just became a 4+ hr job. I figure I’m doing the right thing using the environmentally safer propylene glycol and that way when I burn hydrocarbons with reckless abandon I won’t feel guilty.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It's suposed to reduce operating temps and is non toxic
I don't think it does much for the operating temps. My CBR has a digital temp gauge and I noticed no difference when going to Engine Ice from the stock coolant.

Ditto on the Sprint. I stuck a thermocouple wire in the coolant to see if there was any difference. Couldn't see any. Then again, I had to wire the top of the radiator, which isn't the right place to do it.

I still use the stuff, tho.

·
Premium Member
2017 Rocket III Roadster
2,022 Posts
I use Water Wetter and also noticed no drop in temps. It'll still show up to 8 bars when sitting in traffic.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Drain flush, drain flush again, add vinagar flush, flush again, add antifreeze. half hr job in 1 day. Love working on the bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts