Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that summer is here I notice how much heat comes off the America's engine onto my legs. It's certainly not intolerable, but it surprised me that so much heat is generated from this relatively small engine. Even at highway speed I notice the heat as significant, so I guess I will not ride with just a speedo swimsuit on this bike! My last ride was a Honda Silverwing, and between the plastic covering of the engine and the position of the engine I never felt a bit of heat when riding, or even when stopped at a stoplight and I guess I forgot how much heat comes off a motorcycle. I know that some bikes can be fitted with some type deflectors to reduce engine heat, and wondered what if anything people have done for this issue (if it is an issue) on the America or Speedmaster.

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
It IS an air cooled engine. The most heat you're going to feel will be on your ankles since the lower legs are pretty close to the clutch/alternator housings. I'm not sure if there is a way to deflect heat from there.
BTW, I now ride a Sprint ST, the GF has an America, I formerly had a Bonnie Blk, and if you want to feel heat, ride a Sprint.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
Vito, your posting about the America's engine heat
gave me some food for thought.

I was out riding my America earlier today, it was sunny
and aroundo 90 degrees here, but I didn't find the
engine heat to be excessive.

My last bike was a water cooled Honda Shadow Sabre
and you made me recall how warm it got when I was
stopped at a light and the radiator fan kicked on and
blasted me with hot air.

Now that was engine heat! LOL

In hot weather it wasn't too great, but the heat
was much appreciated on the colder riding days!

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
I don't notice the engine heat, even on a warm day. But warm is a relative term, 80f is a hot day over here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
-3 to 8 degreesC here today. Throw in some wind chill.
Glad for some engine heat!

35 plus in the summer means the road surface is over 50.
I try to keep moving. Or park in the shade near a pub.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.