Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine has been dying on mid-ride. I'll be doing about 80 mph and feel the engine cut off. I have to pull in the clutch, flick the engine cut off switch on and off then hit the start button and it will turn back on and keep going. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
What bike is it? carbed or EFI, year, model, mileage, last time it was serviced, etc. That sort of info will elicit more replies. Also the question would be better in the technical section where all the clever folk are...:)

Does it cut out suddenly as if the ignition was turned off or gradually as if you are running out of fuel?

When the engine cuts off, do the idiot lights like oil pressure and engine check light (if its EFI) come on? It might be something like a bad contact in the ignition switch or a worn and sloppy cut-off switch.

Does the cutting out coincide with a bump in the road? If so check that the sidestand spring has not become sloppy and moves, thus operating the stand safety cut-off switch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is an 2009 bonneville se and it is efi. Yes the idiot lights do come on and the engine cuts off suddenly but the exhaust sounds like I am gradually down shifting.

I was thinking a bad switch but not to sure. It has about 17,000 miles on it and it was just serviced recently.

The problem occurs speradically. I rode for four days straight, about a 100 miles a day, and it happened twice on the fourth day but not on the first 3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts