Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have any opinions or experience about the utility of the Triumph or Hepco/Becker crash bars? In other words, if the bike falls over, are the bars likely to save me more in repair costs than the cost of the bars themselves?

I might add the bars if they have genuine utility; if they're mostly cosmetic, I'll probably pass.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Triumph crash bars are kinda odd looking but look like they would be most effective if you tip the bike in that they give some angle to get under and lift it back up. The aftermarket case covering ones look like they would protect the engine better at speed. I personally have the LSL crash bungs on mine, The are not as obvious as others and would provide some case protection in a skid.
I'll post some front and side views here, but they're from a distance and not detailed for that item. I'll get some close ups later today and post.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
These give a better view

I guess a lot depends on how you want the bike to look. The Hepcos have a more "retro" look than the LSL's but I wanted more of a racing look for the bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. The crash bungs might be a good way to go. Easy to install?

By the way, I love your bike. I bought my Aegean Blue 2005 a year ago, but had actually gone in hoping to buy the black/white T100. But the dealer had run out of them by then.

John

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
THAT blue is a great color! On a sunny day it really lights up. The Crash bungs are very easy to install. Comes with everything you need. You may also want to put the socket head case screws from newbonneville in at the same time. Really dress the bike up and easy to work with if needed. Have fun!!!

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Rentec DO look great! Nice job. If you do touring with the bike, you could probably set up some highway pegs for the trip pretty easy. Nice.

[ This message was edited by: Brooksie on 2006-12-14 12:21 ]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brooksie:

Looks like New Bonneville has 3 different price levels of socket head case screws. What price level did you go for?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
69 Posts
Do any of you have any opinions or experience about the utility of the Triumph or Hepco/Becker crash bars? In other words, if the bike falls over, are the bars likely to save me more in repair costs than the cost of the bars themselves?

I might add the bars if they have genuine utility; if they're mostly cosmetic, I'll probably pass.

Thanks,

John
I had the very unfortunate experience of my first drop of my Scrambler. I did not opt for the dresser bars and I think I was lucky in that only my right front peg and brake lever broke. I didn't see any damage to any of the engine covering, but I knew the bike was going down as I was off it and tried to soften the blow as much as I could from my poorly leveraged position. Dresser bars may have helped on a harder fall, but in my situation, they were unnecessary.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I bought the Hepco Becker crashbars as I thought at the time if I had a "misstep" that they would help :)

They fit up nice , good chrome , well made etc IMO .

This site has free shipping . Ask for Eric >
http://www.sportmotogear.com/

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've got a pair of the engine dresser bars for my Scrambler that I'd like to fit.

Unfortunately I don't have any spare bolts/fixings and just wanted to double check a few things. I also plant to fit the bash plate - no fittings for that either.

I've found the instructions for the Scrambler Dresser Bar Kit, Front, Black - A9758025 here.

So I'm going to buy:

2x M8 x 20 mm
1 x Bolt and lock nut M12 x 135 mm

First question is are there any other installation considerations if I'm fitting a bashplate?

Second, is do the bottom section of the bars just float? It seems odd they aren't connected to anything to give support or rigidity. Oddly in this pic there seem to be tabs. By the colour difference I'm guessing that tabs have been welded on the bars and frame to increase strength:

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

I think the dresser bars might help protecting the tank, but mostly they're for show - and a place to mount your driving lights.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I prefer and fitted the Rennetec bars and (IMHO) they look fine on Bonnie Blanc.
However, be aware they do slightly obstruct the oil filler. Solved for me with an aftermarket oil cap removal tool and ground down Allen key. I use a funnel and flexible tube to get oil in

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have the Triumph crash bars on my 01 Bonneville. Best money ever spent. It has saved my tank twice....once when I was ran off the road into a swamp by a maniac and when I came into a corner too hot and the front tire went away. The bar was the difference between a totaled bike and couple hundred $$ in damage. I continued on my road trip each time. I also leave my passenger pegs down all the time....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts