Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
America 2003.
Was on the motorway this morning riding to work, speed ca 100km/h in the centre lane in quite heavy traffic and the engine died. Had only done 186 km on a full tank so there should have been plenty of juice left, anyway I turned the tap to reserve, dropped down a gear and the engine fired up again, missed a couple of times, ran a bit rough then suddenly back to normal. Stopped to fill up in case it was a fuel problem, but only manage to get 9 litres in the tank. Motor started ok so I set off to work again, during the rest of the ride there were a couple of times I felt the motor "missing" and stuttering but I got to work ok.

Only bought the bike 6 weeks ago, and have changed the leads and plugs, now wondering about changing the coils as well, although this feels like another type of electrical problem, cut-off switch maybe?

Any one had similar problems? Would appreciate input.

·
Registered
724 Posts
There have been issues with the wiring loom by the headstock as it bends quite sharply there. It seems to cause a similar issue to yours. Plenty of threads on here concerning that and possible fixes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nigelrobin56, I suspect that the “secret fuel filter” on your bike is partially to mostly plugged and thus, starving your motor of fuel at highway/motorway speeds. To locate the secret fuel filter, follow the black fuel line from the gas tank to where it attaches to a pipe located between the carburetors. Remove the fuel line at the carburetor end (removal of the fuel tank makes for easier access). Inside the pipe there is a very small, fine mesh cone shaped filter. Fish it out with a hook. It is most likely blocked with very fine black particles that I believed is due to the deterioration of the fuel line. I suggest that you throw the secret fuel filter away and replace the old black rubber/vinyl fuel hose with a new one. After the bike is back together, I would suggest that you turn the fuel petcock on and open the hex head screw at the bottom of the float bowl on each carburetor to check that there is an unimpeded flow of fuel.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
It could be a lot of things. In my case, similar symptoms were caused by an intermittent, failing ignitor. I found that out by replacing it (with a Procom), not cheap, but easy, but not before I had replaced the ignition coil and the crank position sensor.

The whole episode caused me weeks of downtime, three instances where the motor stopped while I was riding and wouldn't start again, and over $400, still much cheaper than taking it to the dealer would have been.

Reactions: HayMike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated, enuff to keep me busy this w/e doing checks before I order the new igniter & coils.

·
Banned
976 Posts
To make things even worse there are two more filters or screens right before the float valve they are usually clean if you keep the first secret filter in place..

·
Premium Member
1,352 Posts
And another early quick check is that the battery cables are tight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts