Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon, folks. My '95 Speed Triple is cutting out. After as little as five miles, the engine shuts off like you are throwing a switch. If I pull in the clutch and hit the starter button, it starts right back up, sometimes before I pull over. It doesn't happen every time, but seems to be happening more frequently.

I don't think it is fuel delivery, since it starts right up.

Research tells me it is probably the pick-up sensor, but I wanted to check for other ideas. Bike has 30K miles.

Any help appreciated,

Ditto

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Put the petcock knob in the PRIME position, this opens the fuel valve without engine vacuum. If no change then you're probably right, it's the sensor.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tach needle drops to zero. I meant to include that info.

Ditto

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the confirmation, Sigurd.

My nextquestion is this: Bike Bandit shows the pickup sensor, but claims it is to be used with engines after 51654, or some such thing. Does that not work on earlier engines?

Ditto

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Did you try bypassing the kill interlock switches on the clutch and sidestand ?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you try bypassing the kill interlock switches on the clutch and sidestand ?
I have not tried that - I will before I order parts.

Thank you,

Ditto

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just looked in the Triumph Service Manual. There is no indication that the ignitor is not used on all models. I do not know about the part number though.

Sigurd

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My nextquestion is this: Bike Bandit shows the pickup sensor, but claims it is to be used with engines after 51654, or some such thing. Does that not work on earlier engines?
Ditto
You won't save any money at Bike Bandit plus shipping takes forever. A dealer can also answer your questions. If you don't want to use your local dealer may I suggest Baxter's in Marne, IA?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Apparently, Bike Bandit actually gives a 10% discount to site members via code "TRIUMPHRAT". I can't confirm for sure, as I had already used my 10% AMA discount on my last order from them.

My local dealer sometimes gives me a 10% discount & sometimes doesn't. They also randomly lose my orders and/or give me the wrong stuff, and take weeks to get parts, just like Bike Bandit. Bike Bandit charges shipping, the dealership charges tax.

Bike Bandit gains the advantage for me when my dealer requires faxed authorization during business hours for credit card charges, while I can order stuff from Bike Bandit at 3:00 AM via the Internet instead of trying to find a fax machine.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The Bike Bandit discount code is news, kind of a well kept secret. I gave up on them after waiting 3 weeks to get a Suzuki suspension bushing for a 5 year old bike. I get stuff from Baxter's in 2-4 days BUT they certainly don't do internet orders. I guess we all find what works for us.

On the Suzuki topic the local dealer marked up parts 35-45% until I showed them my internet research. A couple of key strokes later and list prices magically appeared. I DO need to find a reputable Suzuki source to order from. Sorry, thread hijack.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
No worries on the threadjack, I'm putting Suzuki forks on the RS... :D

I only just found about the Bike Bandit code, else I would have passed it on long ago. Ron Ayers does Suzuki, but I'm not sure they're any better than Bike Bandit.

I was very enthusiastic about Baxter when Kevin was there, less so since he's been gone. That said, they may still be the best source for Hinckley parts.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I was very enthusiastic about Baxter when Kevin was there, less so since he's been gone. That said, they may still be the best source for Hinckley parts.
I completely agree with that. Kevin knew that I liked used parts and would offer me something with 3K miles on it as opposed to new. Now the place is more like "any other dealer" but they still have a large parts inventory and I still get stuff fast. Too bad the staff isn't more pleasant.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Isolating the switches did not remedy the situation, so I guess I'll go into the dealer tomorrow. They will probably try to replace my pickup sensor with a new bike. Nice people, otherwise.

Thanks for the input - sure makes owning one of these a little more comfortable knowing I have this think-tank at my disposal.

Ditto

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
One more thing to try, the pick-up sensor has a resistance spec. Off the top of my head its 530 ohms cold (room temp)I forget the % drift but if you search the forum you should find it. It's the same for 1200 or 900, and the same for all the T300 series bikes.

Any DVm will read the spec, the connector is usually under the airbox. Follow the wire from the right side engine case.

If the spec is met within say 15% of the stated 530 ohms, I'd look for a spare ECU to swap in.

I realise your bike is low miles, but I have seen several ECU's fail due to moisture incursion, rain riding or over enthusiastic use of the garden hose.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
Apparently, Bike Bandit actually gives a 10% discount to site members via code "TRIUMPHRAT". I can't confirm for sure
TRIUMPHRAT does indeed work. A very well kept secret for some reason. There is also another 2% when going through ebates.com for bikebandit.com orders. I cannot confirm that these combine but I assume they would.

Also madss.com ([email protected]) is an authorized Triumph dealer and has good discount prices plus economical shipping. Scott Lukaitis is the parts feller and is on the forum somewhere. I suspect madss will be the least expensive route for anything > $40 or so.

Baxter's shipping is very expensive imo. I used to order frequently but the ship cost has driven me away from Baxter.

Sorry, back to the sensor subject :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good afternoon, folks. My '95 Speed Triple is cutting out. After as little as five miles, the engine shuts off like you are throwing a switch. If I pull in the clutch and hit the starter button, it starts right back up, sometimes before I pull over. It doesn't happen every time, but seems to be happening more frequently.

I don't think it is fuel delivery, since it starts right up.

Research tells me it is probably the pick-up sensor, but I wanted to check for other ideas. Bike has 30K miles.

Any help appreciated,

Ditto
Hi...i've been having the exact same intermittent probs with my '97 speed triple 750 recently which ive posted on the forum. Last yr I renewed vacuum hose, fuel lines, air filter and battery. after advice i tried the fuel tap in all positions which didnt help. would be grateful if you could let me know how you solved the problem...i was thinking it might be dodgey coils, but not sure...ive got 13,000miles on the clock....cheers

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Gaz,

Haven't sorted that yet. I am going to replace the pick-up coil when I get the chance. I PM'd you as well. Good luck!

Ditto

·
Registered
32 Posts
put the new pickup coil in, gave it a little run and everythings ok at the moment...give you an update in a few days or so when I'm sure the problem's solved....cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts