Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 955i, 2006 which is normally parked outside my house.

About a week ago I went outside to find 'something' had reversed into it and shoved it back along the pavement, maybe 8 inches.

There is damage to the nose fairing where the lorry (I'm guessing) hit it.

The side stand is now a little loose and the bike leans a bit too far to the left now when on the stand.

The most annoying bit is that the bike starts and turns over perfectly but every time I put it into first the engine stops.

It seems like the damage to the stand has affected a sensor of some kind - presumably there to cut the engine if the stand is down?

Any kindly soul experienced anything like this before or have any good advice?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

J

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yep I would say its the side stand switch either buggered or where stand bent/loose? not touching the switch its a safety item if I put mine in gear with sidestand down cuts out but ok on main stand to help lubbing chain

·
Registered
240 Posts
Agreed: side-stand switch is the most likely culprit. Shortly after I got my girlie early last year, I had a spate of engine cuts when engaging first gear. Turned out the plunger in the switch was gummy and sticking pushed in when the sidestand was flipped up. A workout with a can of WD40 solved the problem.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Hi Mate,

As above, it's got to be the side stand switch.

Either take the wires off and connect them together, or use a cable tie / insulation tape to keep the switch itself in the closed position.

Let us know how you get on :)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Hi Mate,

, or use a cable tie / insulation tape to keep the switch itself in the closed position.
Plunger on switch fully out to make contact so dont cable tie it closed, the bike will not move. if the problem is a jamed switch that can not be pulled out then a replacement or shorting the wires will get you moving. switch can be seen on the top of the sidestand bracket. two screws hold it in position.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice....

....and you were right. I loosened the sensor housing a bit and fiddled with the 'plunger' and that seems to have done the trick.

However, I also took the side standoff to see why it's so loose and now it's back on it's worse than ever, there is probably a good inch or so movement in it.

I wonder if the u shaped housing that the bolt passes through is bent? The bolt itself looked OK.

I daren't rest the full weight of the bike on it. The centre stand is OK but not terribly practical for everyday use. I'm 6'5" and 17st and it near gives me a hernia trying to get the stand down!

It never rains but......................................

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Find a little, old Tiger owner and have him/her give you some pointers on using the center (centre) stand. It shouldn't be hernia causing, it only causes me problems when I try and use it with bare feet! There should be lots more pushing down than lifting up.
I don't think an inch of play is too much for the side (syde) stand. It's a bit floppy on mine and works just fine. I hope you can find the lorry (truck) driver and discuss the finer points of being a.........you Brits have much more colorful (colourful) names for idiots!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quite

Hey Bill

I suspected that it is perhaps a question of technique - guess I need to improve mine - again!!

And yes I would love a little 'chat' with the lorry (truck) driver and the opportunity to intall in him the virtues of respecting other people's property..........

Hope all is well with you in sunny Tucson.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Jimmy, and anyone else who has trouble with the centre stand, it may be that it's got a bend in it.

My mate Rob's Tiger has the Triumph centre stand, it's really hard to get over, and when it does, the back wheel is on the ground again. It's bent somewhere that I can't figure. The bike also leans over to the right a considerable amount when it's on the centre stand. Not good.

I have the SW Motech version, easy, stable and has 2 inches clearance of the back wheel off the ground.

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Some good advice there about using the centre stand.

It is all down to technique, and there are a few good ones. This is what I teach from CBT to Direct Access to RoSPA Advanced:

1. Make sure the steering lock is not on !! Ask yourself why ??
2. Left hand goes on the left handlebar.
3. Right hand goes on the the left pillion footrest hanger.
4. Right foot goes on the lever attached to the centre stand, so that both prongs of the stand contact the ground.
5. Left foot goes ahead of the right in a comfortable position.
6. Give a good press down on the lever as you pull back and up on the hanger. The left hand keeps the bars straight but does not contribute to pulling back and up as this turns the steering.
7. That's it, the bike slips onto the stand easily :)

Taking the bike off the centre stand is a reversal of the above.

1. Hands and feet in the same position.
2. Pull forward with the right hand until the stand goes just past it's pivot point, then start pressing on the lever to slow it down and control the speed as the bike comes off the stand.
3. As the bike comes fully off the stand lean the bike on your thigh then right hand goes onto the front brake to control the bike.

Easy :)

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
SNIP...

Taking the bike off the centre stand is a reversal of the above.

1. Hands and feet in the same position.
2. Pull forward with the right hand until the stand goes just past it's pivot point, then start pressing on the lever to slow it down and control the speed as the bike comes off the stand.
3. As the bike comes fully off the stand lean the bike on your thigh then right hand goes onto the front brake to control the bike.

Easy :)
Na, getting the bike off the centre stand is simpler than that.

1) Mount bike while on centre stand
2) Start engine
3) Put in first
4) Rock back with both feet on the pegs
5) Rock forward to roll the bike off the stand to get the bike rolling
6) Rev engine, pop clutch and ride off.....

Easy with practice..... :D But don't try it in tight situations!!! ;):eek:

Mick

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
So I tried the Miker-method of launching....but I didn't remember the steps in the right order.
1. Started the bikes
2. Got on while on the centerstand
3. Rocked furiously back and forth
4. Released the clutch when rocking on the back tire
5. Did a momentary burnout and stalled it
6. Sat on a stalled motorcycle on the centerstand.

I'll try again in the morning.......

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
:D
So I tried the Miker-method of launching....but I didn't remember the steps in the right order.
1. Started the bikes
2. Got on while on the centerstand
3. Rocked furiously back and forth
4. Released the clutch when rocking on the back tire
5. Did a momentary burnout and stalled it
6. Sat on a stalled motorcycle on the centerstand.

I'll try again in the morning.......
Ah, you see Bill, you missed step 5) Rock forward to roll the bike off the stand to get the bike rolling.

As I said, it's only a poser move, but fun if you can master it.

I have the SW Motech stand, much stronger than the OEM, one of which my mate has a bent one of.... errhhh... something like that anyway.

Mick

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
:D

I have the SW Motech stand, much stronger than the OEM, one of which my mate has a bent one of.... errhhh... something like that anyway.

Considering the side stand and centre stand are not designed to take the weight of the rider, I'm not surprised :eek:

I wasn't going to say anything about getting on the bike with the stand down because I thought you were only joking, but feel obliged to now :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts