Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Long time no post... I hadn't been able to ride my speed four for a couple of months and when I tried to start her up today the battery didn't have enough juice to start her up. I used a battery charger to jump start it. I noticed the little engine light on the display is glowing bright orange now. Should I be worried? I took a short ride to see if it would go off but it didn't. I got afraid that I might damage the bike so I took her back home. I'm new to riding and not sure what that light really means. Please advise me on what I should do. I really want to go for a ride!

Thanks in advance for any help.

jeff

·
Registered
20 Posts
its perfectly normal, if youve drained or disconnected the battery the light will come on. It should go off after 3 full heat cycles. ( cold ,to fan on, to cold = 1 heat cycle).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I was hoping someone would say that... appreciate the help.

Ride safe!

j

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
its perfectly normal, if youve drained or disconnected the battery the light will come on. It should go off after 3 full heat cycles. ( cold ,to fan on, to cold = 1 heat cycle).
This is slightly erroneous. If the battery is run dead, the MIL will light. However, if the battery is charged and the leads are disconnected while the ignition is off, the MIL should not light (although it will reset the trip odometers and clock). Also, a heat cycle is not what is stated, but is found here: Heat Cycle

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is slightly erroneous. If the battery is run dead, the MIL will light. However, if the battery is charged and the leads are disconnected while the ignition is off, the MIL should not light (although it will reset the trip odometers and clock). Also, a heat cycle is not what is stated, but is found here: Heat Cycle

Thanks for that , I think you will find that the battery does not have to be "dead" and the light can and does come on after numerous different leads,connectors etc have been disconnected..also after trying to start a bike with an insufficiently charged battery!
Also as he stated that he is new to biking then the easiest waty to ensure a full heat cycle is acheived is to start from cold, wait till the fan comes on then return to cold......do you not agree? The easiest explanations are always the best ones!

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Thanks for that , I think you will find that the battery does not have to be "dead" and the light can and does come on after numerous different leads,connectors etc have been disconnected..also after trying to start a bike with an insufficiently charged battery!
The MIL will light after multiple electrical connections have been tampered with only if at least one connection is not properly made. If the engine management system is shut down properly and the battery disconnected, one can take the entire electrical system apart, put it back together, and start the engine with no MIL. The MIL is tripped by a fault in the system, so if there is no fault (i.e. faulty connection, drained/dead battery, etc) there is no MIL.

Just to clarify, when saying 'dead' battery, I am replying to Cheggy's comment of: "if youve drained or disconnected the battery," thinking that by drained Cheggy meant dead. In my opinion, if you try to start the engine and the battery cannot turn the engine over, the battery is drained, dead, insufficiently charged, or any other way to say it is useless to the purpose of starting the engine. Semantics is the bane of humankind.

The easiest explanations are always the best ones!
I say that the correct definitions are always the best ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts