Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Thruxton R 2019, Rocket Roadster 2012
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After an uneventful ride to meet some guys, on restarting the bike I got an engine check light staying on AND weird throttle behaviour. If I left the throttle untouched the revs would sometimes build on their own up to about 3000rpm (then drop back), and when I tried to ride the bike there seemed no connection with the throttle - ie turning it had no effect and the engine stayed at about idle revs even under load - it didn;t randomly rev up though.
Disconnected the battery for 5 minutes and all was good again except the check light is still on. I might be able to get the error code via Tuneecu tomorrow.
Any thoughts?
Mike

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
might be able to get the error code via Tuneecu tomorrow.
Any thoughts?
You can get the error code on the instrument display by holding down the i button when switching on the ignition, then release the button when the display shows DTC.
Could it be something linked to your aftermarket cruise control, didn't you have some throttle fault codes when you first installed it?
Best see what the code is first.

Reactions: Traveller and MikeS

·
Registered
12 Posts
After an uneventful ride to meet some guys, on restarting the bike I got an engine check light staying on AND weird throttle behaviour. If I left the throttle untouched the revs would sometimes build on their own up to about 3000rpm (then drop back), and when I tried to ride the bike there seemed no connection with the throttle - ie turning it had no effect and the engine stayed at about idle revs even under load - it didn;t randomly rev up though.
Disconnected the battery for 5 minutes and all was good again except the check light is still on. I might be able to get the error code via Tuneecu tomorrow.
Any thoughts?
Mike
I had a self inflicted issue, similar but not identical, when I inadvertently unplugged one of what I believe are the coil or ignition connections under the tank, which had me limping around on one cylinder. That said, after I plugged that in it ran great but I had to run it through the three complete full warm up/full cool run cycle and the check engine light went out. No issues since. You would ultimately want to ID that code though,

Hood Finger Automotive tire Auto part Gas

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can get the error code on the instrument display by holding down the i button when switching on the ignition, then release the button when the display shows DTC.
Could it be something linked to your aftermarket cruise control, didn't you have some throttle fault codes when you first installed it?
Yeah I’ve emailed the guys in Oz for their thoughts. I did go over a big pothole and the cruise control disengaged but worked ok when I pressed the set button again. This was about 15 minutes prior to stopping the bike then getting the problem on restart
Mike

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the other things it could be is the throttle slop spacers I fitted. I have this nagging feeling that the ECU doesn't like zero slop, and whilst they certainly worked when I first fitted them, I have this subjective feeling that the ECU has gradually inserted 'electronic slop' even though there is still no physical slop detectable. Is that even possible?
Mike

·
Premium Member
2016 Diablo Red Thruxton 1200 R
3,019 Posts
I had my spacers in for almost 3 yrs and No issues at all with my 16’ TTR because of the throttle spacers, my throttle response and motor performance is spot on…. FTG

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
So I got codes P2120 ,2125, and 2138
They all seem to be to do with TPS .... I found this post on the other forum which describes exactly what happened to me and also how I got home. Thruxton - Twist Grip Codes P2125 & P2138
Mike
One of the other things it could be is the throttle slop spacers I fitted. I have this nagging feeling that the ECU doesn't like zero slop, and whilst they certainly worked when I first fitted them, I have this subjective feeling that the ECU has gradually inserted 'electronic slop' even though there is still no physical slop detectable. Is that even possible?
Mike
TPS is is normally the shorthand for the throttle position sensor, these codes are for the twistgrip position sensor (s), obviously also tps but not normally abbreviated to that, my money is still on the MC cruise or associated wiring, especially given the CC disengaged going over a pothole that started the problem, must have caused a loss of connection somewhere.

Agree with FTG, I think there's zero chance its linked to the throttle spacers, the ECU has no idea how much mechanical play or movement exists before the throttle tube actually moves the sensors, could be 50mm, 3mm, or zero, it doesn't make any difference.
The only way it could be linked at all to the spacers is if you damaged something during the install.

Try clearing the codes and see if they return, my guess is an intermittent connection problem, its really doubtful you'd have actual faults with both twistgrip sensors at the same time.
That's why there's two separate sensor outputs, redundancy for safety.

·
Registered
2018 Bonneville Speedmaster
397 Posts
Could it be just a loose or dirty connection in the wiring somewhere? Trace it from the throttle down and if something can be unplugged clean the connection and reattach. Then reset the codes.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not obvious to me how to reset the checklight using TuneECU, and the procedure doesn't seem to be mentioned in the on-line Help guide.
By the way - I registered the Thruxton with the French guy and it was my 1 of 5 bikes, but when I got connected up again it said unregistered bike. I've now registered my Rocket for the first time and I will go back tomorrow and re-register the Thruxton .... but has random de-registering happened to anyone else?
Mike

·
Registered
130 Posts
Connect with TuneECU, swipe all the right to the Sensors screen, click on List, and select the TPS and other throttle related sensors, click ok. Start the bike and monitor them and see which one of them is jumping around or giving erratic readings... Could be the throttle itself, it could be the throttlebody sensors...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Connect with TuneECU, swipe all the right to the Sensors screen, click on List, and select the TPS and other throttle related sensors, click ok. Start the bike and monitor them and see which one of them is jumping around or giving erratic readings... Could be the throttle itself, it could be the throttlebody sensors...
.... and then I'm presented with an option to clear the checklight?
I don't quite understand your last sentence. Are there some kind of sensors in the throttle itself (rather than the TPS) that TuneECU can monitor?
Mike

·
Registered
130 Posts
.... and then I'm presented with an option to clear the checklight?
I don't quite understand your last sentence. Are there some kind of sensors in the throttle itself (rather than the TPS) that TuneECU can monitor?
Mike
Yes, there are several sensors. We want to narrow things down to see if we can determine which sensor is wonky. There is how much you twist the throttle.., the ECU needs to read that, and then determine what to do about it. IE, you twist the throttle grip 50%, it sees 50%, and then looks up with mode(ETV table) you are in, compares that 50% input to the RPM and comes up with how much to open up the throttlebodies. Could be 50%, could be 37%.... You will want to compare what the signal looks like coming in... If the throttle position sensor is steady and reacts as it should to your inputs, but the throttlebody reading is bouncing around, that points us in that direction...

If you see the throttle position from the twist grip bouncing all over the place with you not touching the throttle, then we know that the issue is there. There are also diagnostic tests that you can do on both items...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I need help in the TuneECU subforum.
Yesterday when I went back to the Thruxton with the OBDlink and Tuneecu it said it was an unregistered bike (I definitely registered it a couple of months ago)
I then connected up to my Rocket Roadster which also has a checklight. It correctly said that the Rocket was an unregistered bike and (I think) I registered it (I didn't have to type in any Vin number though). That gave me the error code (air temp sensor). And I then left eveything .....until today..... First it told me that the Rocket was an unregistered bike, and so I switched off the ignition and on again hoping that would remind it. This time it told me that my app was unregistered (or unlicensed perhaps), with no option to reaffirm the licence which I had paid 25 euros for.
I then took the gear across to the Thruxton and it again told me that my bike was unregistered and I think that the app was unregistered.
On none of the occasions when I have been connected to either bike has the software allowed me to 'swipe right' to various other screens.
Frustrating
Mike

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think I need help in the TuneECU subforum.
Yesterday when I went back to the Thruxton with the OBDlink and Tuneecu it said it was an unregistered bike (I definitely registered it a couple of months ago)
I then connected up to my Rocket Roadster which also has a checklight. It correctly said that the Rocket was an unregistered bike and (I think) I registered it (I didn't have to type in any Vin number though). That gave me the error code (air temp sensor). And I then left eveything .....until today..... First it told me that the Rocket was an unregistered bike, and so I switched off the ignition and on again hoping that would remind it. This time it told me that my app was unregistered (or unlicensed perhaps), with no option to reaffirm the licence which I had paid 25 euros for.
I then took the gear across to the Thruxton and it again told me that my bike was unregistered and I think that the app was unregistered.
On none of the occasions when I have been connected to either bike has the software allowed me to 'swipe right' to various other screens.
Frustrating
Mike
1) Open the app and make sure that the device is connected to the internet.
2) Click on the top right corner, the 3 dots, and select App Update and make sure you are on the latest version
3) Click on the top right corner, the 3 dots, and select License, and see if there is an option to "Update License".

Does that change anything?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1) Open the app and make sure that the device is connected to the internet.
2) Click on the top right corner, the 3 dots, and select App Update and make sure you are on the latest version
3) Click on the top right corner, the 3 dots, and select License, and see if there is an option to "Update License".

Does that change anything?
I will try tomorrow but today there was no option showing about license
Mike

·
Registered
130 Posts
Can they be cleared without an OBD11 reader.
Don't think so. I mean, the dealer can, but then again its cheaper to just buy the adapter and TuneECU and do it all yourself. Between resetting codes, resetting the periodic maintenance minder, flashing the ECU, using it to synch the throttlebodies and other diagnostics.. One trip to the dealer and you could have bought the app and ODB adapter and done it all yourself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts