Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey Fellas (and ladies),

Long story short, I just purchased a new Street Twin, this being my very first, brand new engine (Bike or car), I really am unsure of solid, and healthy ways to break in the engine.

(plus its a pain in the ass finding parts for a brand new model, any suggestions for that?) lol

any words of advice?

thank you guys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now all of a sudden my high Coolant temperature light and check engine came on at around the same time??? I was a short mile or two from home but why could that have happened??

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Now all of a sudden my high Coolant temperature light and check engine came on at around the same time??? I was a short mile or two from home but why could that have happened??
If it were a car I'd say they're typical symptoms of a failed coolant thermostat, that is the thermostat failed in the closed position which leaves a small portion of the cooling circuit isolated from the rest and from the radiator. The small quantity of water held in there soon overheats unless the thermostat opens and the rest of the cooling circuit is brought into play.

I don't know if the new bikes have a coolant thermostat though, they ought to have to ensure prompt warm up, very little technical detail, close-up photos, etc are being passed on by present owners.

A quick test is to run until the coolant light comes on again in that short distance, and touch the top of the radiator. If it remains cold, that's what it is.

EDIT: The last two posts and indeed the thread ought to be moved to the water-cooled section and perhaps a new thread title. This will enable other kettle owners to give an opinion on the latest bit of trouble.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts